Freshwater Madness
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RegisterHomeSearchLatest imagesLog inFWMadnessGallery
Similar topics

To dirt or not to dirt?

Go down 
    +2
    Mike D
    saint_felony
    6 posters
    AuthorMessage
    saint_felony
    The Turtle Whisperer
    saint_felony

To dirt or not to dirt? Empty
    PostSubject: To dirt or not to dirt?   To dirt or not to dirt? EmptyThu Nov 06, 2008 2:52 am

I got some peace lilies, some people call them sword plants (I guess peace lilies doesn't sound manly enough) Anyway, I want to see how well they'll fair in my tanks.

They are currently potted in dirt right now. Nothing fancy, just regular potting soil. I was thinking of repotting them with half dirt on the bottom, half larger gravel on top. Like how some of the fancier pond plants come.

Does anyone have a substrate they like, or has had good luck with? Most of the ones I've tried have just ended up a disgusting mess. Plant clay being the worst of the bunch. The pond was cloudy for weeks after the fish found that stuff.
    Back to top Go down
    Mike D
    DIY Guy
    Mike D

Male Posts : 1842

Humor : You can't offend me

PostSubject: Re: To dirt or not to dirt?   To dirt or not to dirt? EmptyFri Nov 07, 2008 2:25 am

I've heard nothing but good things about Seachem Flourite Sand. I plan on using it in my 55g when I get some money saved.
    Back to top Go down
    saint_felony
    The Turtle Whisperer
    saint_felony

PostSubject: Re: To dirt or not to dirt?   To dirt or not to dirt? EmptyFri Nov 07, 2008 4:02 am

Hm. I have some sort of Seachem Sand left from another project. Not sure if it's flourite or not, it may be calcium. I'll have to test that out.
    Back to top Go down
    67chevelle
    67chevelle

Male Posts : 55

PostSubject: Re: To dirt or not to dirt?   To dirt or not to dirt? EmptyFri Nov 07, 2008 9:35 am

Here is my 2cents.I have one heavily planted 10g that has miracle grow potting soil on the bottom with gravel on top.It has worked out well for me,but I do not think I would do it in anything larger than a 30g however.It took alot of water changes for quite a few weeks before the water was crystal clear,which is why I would hesitate on doing it in a larger tank.But if you are doing this in a smaller tank,this might be something to consider.It was cheap,and the plants love it.I have pics posted here,if you wanr to check it out.
    Back to top Go down
    saint_felony
    The Turtle Whisperer
    saint_felony

PostSubject: Re: To dirt or not to dirt?   To dirt or not to dirt? EmptyFri Nov 07, 2008 1:19 pm

I saw your pictures and the Miracle Grow dirt recommendation. They look like they're doing really well in that. The thing of it is, is I don't really have tanks that aren't in use with something. Usually that something is big and fond of digging too, it's not like people give up guppies. Smile

I was thinking I might try the dirt thing again, but this time get some more clay pots and drill out the drainage hole so it's big enough to just put the roots through put dirt in and put them in upside down. Maybe that will keep the dirt where it belongs.
    Back to top Go down
    kiokie
    kiokie

Female Posts : 289

PostSubject: Re: To dirt or not to dirt?   To dirt or not to dirt? EmptySat Nov 29, 2008 10:38 pm

So how are the peace lilies doing? Are they fully emerged ? Didn't know you could use those. Aren't sword plants different?
    Back to top Go down
    IceH2O
    IceH2O

PostSubject: Re: To dirt or not to dirt?   To dirt or not to dirt? EmptySat Jan 24, 2009 4:14 pm

Peace lilies are NOT aquatic and aren't the swords you see in peoples tanks. If you can set them up so only the roots are in the water and the leaves aren't submersed they will do fine, otherwise they will just die.
    Back to top Go down
    Wyomingite
    Fish Wrangler
    Wyomingite

Male Posts : 1781

Humor : "I drank what?" - Socrates
    Favorite Fish : I won't choose and ya can't make me!

PostSubject: Re: To dirt or not to dirt?   To dirt or not to dirt? EmptyMon Jan 26, 2009 12:24 am

67chevelle wrote:
    Here is my 2cents.I have one heavily planted 10g that has miracle grow potting soil on the bottom with gravel on top.It has worked out well for me,but I do not think I would do it in anything larger than a 30g however.It took alot of water changes for quite a few weeks before the water was crystal clear,which is why I would hesitate on doing it in a larger tank.But if you are doing this in a smaller tank,this might be something to consider.It was cheap,and the plants love it.I have pics posted here,if you wanr to check it out.

I did this in a 55, the plants grew great, but it took several weeks to get the water clean. I agree I wouldn't want to do it in anything larger.

What I have done in larger tanks is use plastic window boxes filled with potting soil 4"-5" deep, then a 1" layer of gravel, and finally a layer of 3-4" rocks on top of the gravel laying around the plant roots. That discouraged digging.

WYite
    Back to top Go down
    saint_felony
    The Turtle Whisperer
    saint_felony

PostSubject: Re: To dirt or not to dirt?   To dirt or not to dirt? EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 1:16 am

Both my local fish store and the nursery by me call the same plant both names. So uh. not sure what to tell you. At any rate, mine (which was called a peace lily) has been doing just fine nearly submerged this whole time.

They've been in, and planted a day or two after that post, (Nov 6th) in a large clay pot. It's set up partially like the way Wyite did with his window boxes. (Dirt, gravel then heavy rocks on top) but it's also set up like a sponge filter with out the sponge. (The tube goes into the gravel and dirt with an airstone, sans spongey part)

I hit it once a week-ish with some flourish, and except for a few of the leaves that are being nibbled on, it's been growing so fast that I want to move it from the 30 it's into a bigger tank, or at least one where it won't get completely eaten. Smile

They even bloomed a week or so ago. They're kinda old now, but they still have the white flowers.
    Back to top Go down
    Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: To dirt or not to dirt?   To dirt or not to dirt? Empty

Back to top Go down

To dirt or not to dirt?
    Page 1 of 1