Freshwater Madness
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RegisterHomeSearchLatest imagesLog inFWMadnessGallery

Clay

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
angelfin
angelfin

Clay Empty
PostSubject: Clay   Clay EmptySat Sep 25, 2010 6:10 pm

I was on a another forum site and they were talking about clay. They were saying to go to a art store to get some for their planted tanks.. How do you use clay in the tanks as a substrate? I have clay in my creek it's quite slippery wadding on it. And our soil is clay. Is this something I can use to save cost? There is also sand in the creek to.. :flowerhorn:
Back to top Go down
WhiteGloveAquatics
WhiteGloveAquatics

Male Posts : 134

Humor : raunchy and mean
Favorite Fish : Discus,Rams,Angels,Dwarf cichlids,tetras oh and flathead catfish

Clay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clay   Clay EmptySat Sep 25, 2010 6:35 pm

http://aquariumgardeners.com/org/articles.htm

I think its a powdered clay mixed in with the substrate to get it, clay is packed with plant loving nutrients. I have a creek like you describe on my hunting property in central indiana, slippery as snot but plants grow like crazy in this creek. they are all rooted below the sand that is in there as well. I pulled what appeared to be VALS from it (they wernt but close enough) and their roots were about as long as the leaves and I had to dig around it to get it out of the clay.

I wouldnt use that stuff in the tank because you are going from an open environment to a closed one and ANything in that sand and clay will make short work of the tank possibly worse. never know what is in the clay unless you do a core test.

Do you have any hobby stores near you?
Back to top Go down
angelfin
angelfin

Clay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clay   Clay EmptySat Sep 25, 2010 7:09 pm

Yes we have a hobby lobby . Thank you for the helpful advise I do not want to mess my tank and half to start over.. I got a 30 gallon tank from a garage sale for $8.00 , I just picked up a heater on sale a Fluval M200 it's for aquariums up to 65 gallons. I picked this up for $24.00 an I got this size so when I upgrade to a 55 gallon I can use the same one so I don't have to bye another one. I will do the same with the filter so I can use it in a future 55 gallon.. I'm still researching the filter. and substrate, and lighting. Getting it a little at a time.. I'm in N/W Ohio..
Back to top Go down
WhiteGloveAquatics
WhiteGloveAquatics

Favorite Fish : Discus,Rams,Angels,Dwarf cichlids,tetras oh and flathead catfish

Clay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clay   Clay EmptySat Sep 25, 2010 7:14 pm

eco complete is the best planted substate you can get without mail ordering. filter id go with an AC70 and T5HO lighting since it will be planted and plants love those midday T5's
Back to top Go down
angelfin
angelfin

Clay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clay   Clay EmptySat Sep 25, 2010 7:25 pm

Thank you for your help.. I can't wait to get everything together..My Angel fish can't wait she is currently in a 5 gallon.. How long would you recommend when the new tank is set up to transfer the fish to it?
Back to top Go down
WhiteGloveAquatics
WhiteGloveAquatics

Clay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clay   Clay EmptySat Sep 25, 2010 11:31 pm

well it better be atleast a 30g tank for 1 angel. i see yours is small but if you got it into a bigger tank asap(aged tank) it will grow like a weed for you.

The new tank, you could run the filter from that on the 5g to seed it but usually around 2 weeks there is enough bacteria to support a single fish. one fish wont throw off a cycle and a secret...I have a 3 year old pair of "starter" angels. from 8.8ph down to 5.3 they lived and spawned multiple times.
Back to top Go down
angelfin
angelfin

Clay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clay   Clay EmptySun Sep 26, 2010 2:06 pm

Thanks!! My angel has doubled in size since that picture.. I do need to get it into a bigger tank.. I got it real small on sale for a $150 they usually cost $6.99...I was hoping to have in a bigger tank by now.. But something always comes up and the money has to go elsewhere..
Back to top Go down
WhiteGloveAquatics
WhiteGloveAquatics

Clay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clay   Clay EmptySun Sep 26, 2010 2:17 pm

Craigslist. might take a drive but its worth it.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Clay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clay   Clay Empty

Back to top Go down

Clay
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Freshwater Madness :: General Freshwater Madness :: Planted Tank Madness-
Jump to: