Freshwater Madness
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RegisterHomeSearchLatest imagesLog inFWMadnessGallery
Similar topics

SNAILS

Go down 
+3
Celticwraith
WhiteGloveAquatics
dwarf cichlids in Tucson
7 posters
AuthorMessage
dwarf cichlids in Tucson
dwarf cichlids in Tucson

Favorite Fish : Apitogramas as well as South American Dwarf cichlids cory cats and tetras discus and angelfish

SNAILS  Empty
PostSubject: SNAILS    SNAILS  EmptyMon Nov 15, 2010 2:56 pm

I have a 40 gal planted tank that I just restarted and the plants I have bought brought in snails I want the plant eating things gone.There use to be a product called Rid a snail I have looked on line and in all the stores in Az and cantnot find it? Is it still on the market? HOW DO I kill them
Back to top Go down
WhiteGloveAquatics
WhiteGloveAquatics

Male Posts : 134

Humor : raunchy and mean
Favorite Fish : Discus,Rams,Angels,Dwarf cichlids,tetras oh and flathead catfish

SNAILS  Empty
PostSubject: Re: SNAILS    SNAILS  EmptyMon Nov 15, 2010 4:21 pm

Assassin snails,loaches(yo-yos are awesome snail eaters). I know fishypharmacy has a chemical called de-los that WILL nuke then dead but If its plant only you are fine, http://www.fishyfarmacy.com/products.html#D

just dont use with prehistoric fish (sharks,catfish ect)

It works wonders. I bought a pound of it for my 210 when some plants brought in eggs of the bastid pond snail.
Back to top Go down
Celticwraith
FWM Graphic Designer
Celticwraith

Male Posts : 561

Humor : Some times!
Favorite Fish : All the ones I have.

SNAILS  Empty
PostSubject: Re: SNAILS    SNAILS  EmptyMon Nov 15, 2010 7:20 pm

I agree with WhiteGlove. I have had Yo-yo loaches for some time now and at the time I purchased them my tank was full of snails, the yo-yo's cleared up that problem.
Back to top Go down
WhiteGloveAquatics
WhiteGloveAquatics

Favorite Fish : Discus,Rams,Angels,Dwarf cichlids,tetras oh and flathead catfish

SNAILS  Empty
PostSubject: Re: SNAILS    SNAILS  EmptyMon Nov 15, 2010 8:11 pm

Don't you just love the way they stack the empty shells?

mine stash em in spots around wood and flora. Got a nice big pile in the 210 now. I like the wrath of the yo-yo

One other one is the Banjo cat.
Back to top Go down
Celticwraith
FWM Graphic Designer
Celticwraith

SNAILS  Empty
PostSubject: Re: SNAILS    SNAILS  EmptyMon Nov 15, 2010 10:32 pm

Mine left them all over, but more around the plants. Great fish for getting rid of snails.
Back to top Go down
dwarf cichlids in Tucson
dwarf cichlids in Tucson

Favorite Fish : Apitogramas as well as South American Dwarf cichlids cory cats and tetras discus and angelfish

SNAILS  Empty
PostSubject: Re: SNAILS    SNAILS  EmptyTue Nov 16, 2010 3:06 pm

Thanks guys I knew I could count on you
Back to top Go down
Wyomingite
Fish Wrangler
Wyomingite

Male Posts : 1781

Humor : "I drank what?" - Socrates
Favorite Fish : I won't choose and ya can't make me!

SNAILS  Empty
PostSubject: Re: SNAILS    SNAILS  EmptyTue Nov 16, 2010 11:47 pm

WhiteGloveAquatics wrote:
One other one is the Banjo cat.

Really? Wish my banjo cats would get busy. Brought some ramshorns and pond snails in to my planted 55, and now I can't get rid of 'em. Gonna hafta relent and throw some loaches in there for a while, even though they don't fit the Essequibo River biotope I got goin'.

dwarf cichlids in Tucson wrote:
I have a 40 gal planted tank that I just restarted and the plants I have bought brought in snails I want the plant eating things gone.There use to be a product called Rid a snail I have looked on line and in all the stores in Az and cantnot find it? Is it still on the market? HOW DO I kill them

IIRC, Rid-a-Snail was horrid on plants, so best off to look for an alternative method even if you do find it.

I have three zebra loaches (Botia striata) in my SE Asian planted community tank, and they made short work of the MTSs in it.

WYite

Back to top Go down
WhiteGloveAquatics
WhiteGloveAquatics

SNAILS  Empty
PostSubject: Re: SNAILS    SNAILS  EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 9:26 am

Yes, banjos are known snail eaters. the problem is the small mouthes the banjos have.
Back to top Go down
dwarf cichlids in Tucson
dwarf cichlids in Tucson

SNAILS  Empty
PostSubject: Re: SNAILS    SNAILS  EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 2:38 pm

Thanks again guys me question is can Dojos handle my low P H its 6.0 I have lots of soft water fish so I keep lots of drift wood in my tanks to keep it that way. Also is there something that I can treat the new plants with that wont hurt them but will kill any snails and their eggs that come in in on the plants.
Back to top Go down
WhiteGloveAquatics
WhiteGloveAquatics

SNAILS  Empty
PostSubject: Re: SNAILS    SNAILS  EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 3:14 pm

yes you can use ALUM on a 3 day dip for the plants, this will not kill them all but they loosen their grip and fall to the bottom of the bucket

http://www.aquariumplants.com/Articles.asp?ID=111

go halfway down that page, past the illustrations and junk there is a section how to rid hitchhikers from aquatic plants.

As far as loaches go

try this out
http://www.loaches.com/species-index

cant get more info then that site has to offer, its 100% pure loach content.
Back to top Go down
Celticwraith
FWM Graphic Designer
Celticwraith

SNAILS  Empty
PostSubject: Re: SNAILS    SNAILS  EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 7:14 pm

ALUM works great I used it on all my new plants after I heard of it.
Back to top Go down
dwarf cichlids in Tucson
dwarf cichlids in Tucson

SNAILS  Empty
PostSubject: Re: SNAILS    SNAILS  EmptyThu Nov 18, 2010 3:08 pm

Thanks again
Back to top Go down
Rummynose1
Rummynose1

Male Posts : 2

Humor : Humor me!!
Favorite Fish : Characins, Barbs, Loaches, Cichlids, but if I have to choose one definitely the Rummynose Tetras in schooling groups.

SNAILS  Empty
PostSubject: Re: SNAILS    SNAILS  EmptySat Nov 27, 2010 12:03 am

I am new at this business so I don't know who will be getting this message, but I can tell you what has been working for me. I too, have a planted aquarium and I keep Skunk loaches in my tank, the main reason skunk loach is because they do not get big at all and they do not attack the plants either. I have an 150 gal planted aquarium and I have kept 4 skunk loaches and two Japanese Dojos for the past 2 or 3 years, they are peaceful fish and vociferous ( they make a clicking sound) when excited.
I do not recommend any type of chemical to kill your snail problem, because not only will it kill the snails, but your plants will also be greatly affected, and ram sack your good bacterias in your bio-filter.
Back to top Go down
WhiteGloveAquatics
WhiteGloveAquatics

SNAILS  Empty
PostSubject: Re: SNAILS    SNAILS  EmptySat Nov 27, 2010 12:43 am

De-Los wont kill the plants. my 210 is heavily planted, I made sure of that, ALUM is a pickling spice and will not harm the plants at all, even soaking for two weeks in it.

Pakistani aka yo-yo loaches only get 3-4" max and do the same, skunk loaches arent readily availble up here by me and they would have been my first choice over yo-yo's

we all get the messages you type in the reply box. Welcome to the forum, we'd love to see pics and/or videos of your set-up.(Im an aquascaper by profession as part or what I offer my customers)
Back to top Go down
saint_felony
The Turtle Whisperer
saint_felony

SNAILS  Empty
PostSubject: Re: SNAILS    SNAILS  EmptyMon Nov 29, 2010 1:13 am

I guess I've lucked out. Outside of the one tank with apples, that are absolute destroyers of plants or any other organic matter really, I've never had any that caused me any trouble.

Do you all just not like the look of the little pond snails? Or is it an issue of not having anything to do with them when they start to go nuts in the tank?
Back to top Go down
WhiteGloveAquatics
WhiteGloveAquatics

SNAILS  Empty
PostSubject: Re: SNAILS    SNAILS  EmptyMon Nov 29, 2010 4:18 pm

pond snails eat live plants, thats been my personal vendetta against them.
Back to top Go down
saint_felony
The Turtle Whisperer
saint_felony

SNAILS  Empty
PostSubject: Re: SNAILS    SNAILS  EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 12:01 am

I got some nasty tasting plants then. Smile

My tanks have mint, water sprite, moss balls, and some thing I could never find out what it was but my mom calls it water poppy. There's a variety of different sorts of snails, little easily squished pondies, bigger striped ones (briggs I think?) ones that look like trumpets and a few trapdoors.

Outside of feeding them to the smaller turtles, I've never looked into what they are, so I'm not sure if I just lucked out or what.
Back to top Go down
Rummynose1
Rummynose1

Male Posts : 2

Humor : Humor me!!
Favorite Fish : Characins, Barbs, Loaches, Cichlids, but if I have to choose one definitely the Rummynose Tetras in schooling groups.

SNAILS  Empty
PostSubject: Re: SNAILS    SNAILS  EmptyFri Dec 03, 2010 12:50 am

Boy I am having a fit trying to figure this portal, someone welcomed me, but when I try to respond I can't find the person, anyway he asked me to show some pic, I do have some but they are not recent ones, so it wouldn't be fair. I will try to make some time to take some new pictures so I can post them, but as I said I am having a hard time navigating in this portal, but I will keep trying .
Back to top Go down
WhiteGloveAquatics
WhiteGloveAquatics

SNAILS  Empty
PostSubject: Re: SNAILS    SNAILS  EmptyFri Dec 03, 2010 4:05 pm

saint_felony wrote:
I got some nasty tasting plants then. Smile

My tanks have mint, water sprite, moss balls, and some thing I could never find out what it was but my mom calls it water poppy. There's a variety of different sorts of snails, little easily squished pondies, bigger striped ones (briggs I think?) ones that look like trumpets and a few trapdoors.

Outside of feeding them to the smaller turtles, I've never looked into what they are, so I'm not sure if I just lucked out or what.

the ones I had come in made swiss chesse of my swords, crypt spiralis and italian vals. I had to toss my red tiger lotuses because they were eaten away to nothing.
Back to top Go down
saint_felony
The Turtle Whisperer
saint_felony

SNAILS  Empty
PostSubject: Re: SNAILS    SNAILS  EmptyFri Dec 03, 2010 5:07 pm

That sucks. I completely understand the snail hate then. Smile
Back to top Go down
graigjonns
Banned

SNAILS  Empty
PostSubject: Re: SNAILS    SNAILS  EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 12:54 pm

I agree WhiteGlove. I have a yo-yo loach for some time, when I bought them that my tank is full of snails, yo-yo's clarify the issue.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

SNAILS  Empty
PostSubject: Re: SNAILS    SNAILS  Empty

Back to top Go down

SNAILS
Page 1 of 1