Freshwater Madness
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RegisterHomeSearchLatest imagesLog inFWMadnessGallery
Similar topics

baby jewels

Go down 
+2
Wyomingite
cyndrine
6 posters
AuthorMessage
cyndrine
cyndrine

baby jewels Empty
PostSubject: baby jewels   baby jewels EmptySat Feb 20, 2010 3:06 am

came home from a day out at a friends. went to check the tank. thought something was wrong and at a closer look i have a tank of baby jewel cichlids.

not arguing in the slightest but i was not expecting that with the parents being in the tank for only a couple weeks at most.

Is there anything i need to do to make sure they will live?
Back to top Go down
Wyomingite
Fish Wrangler
Wyomingite

Male Posts : 1781

Humor : "I drank what?" - Socrates
Favorite Fish : I won't choose and ya can't make me!

baby jewels Empty
PostSubject: Re: baby jewels   baby jewels EmptySat Feb 20, 2010 1:33 pm

Be careful of any other fish ya have in there, parent jewels are as dangerous as cons or any of the CA cichlids at defending' their young and can be devastating. Can do a lot of damage for such a small fish. If they're happy, they can be as prolific as well. Ya actually have the hardest part of breedin' them wrapped up: findin' a pair that doesn't beat each other up! Wink

The other fish in the tank will prey on the fry if they get a chance. Otherwise, the parents will raise them. The'll eat finely crushed flake pretty much from the start. You really don't need to do much. Good luck!

WYite
Back to top Go down
cyndrine
cyndrine

baby jewels Empty
PostSubject: Re: baby jewels   baby jewels EmptySat Feb 20, 2010 7:04 pm

All the other fish are hiding at the opposite end of the tank. They seem to be smart enough to stay at that end ad i had been wondering when they started a few days ago if something was wrong in the tank. Nothing wrong but right I know now.

Good to hear I won't need to do anything else. Was worried since I hadn't knowingly set anything up for breeding them & just spent the night looking for a nylon I could put over the filter intake to make sure they do not get sucked up.
I have a feeling I'm gonna be looking for a lot of homes for them when they get bigger and as time goes on with the parents if they keep this up.
Back to top Go down
jsorensen
jsorensen

Male Posts : 331

Favorite Fish : Plakat Betta

baby jewels Empty
PostSubject: Re: baby jewels   baby jewels EmptyMon Feb 22, 2010 8:45 pm

wow nice job on breeding them i have heard it is pretty hard to breed them because they are aggressive
Back to top Go down
DragonKeeper
DragonKeeper

baby jewels Empty
PostSubject: Re: baby jewels   baby jewels EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 8:24 am

jsorensen wrote:
wow nice job on breeding them i have heard it is pretty hard to breed them because they are aggressive

Getting a compatible pair is the difficult part. Once they are willing to not beat the tar out of each other they will spawn quite frequently.

Congrats on the spawn.

Keeper
Back to top Go down
WaterChangeWarrior
WaterChangeWarrior

Male Posts : 111

Humor : sick/dry
Favorite Fish : dwarf cichlids, corys, plecos, killies, livebearers, oddballs

baby jewels Empty
PostSubject: Re: baby jewels   baby jewels EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 10:34 am

Congrats on the unexpected spawning....those are always fun! Good luck with the fry!
Back to top Go down
http://www.aquatic-terrors.com
mahemaheman85
mahemaheman85

Male Posts : 280

Favorite Fish : vics

baby jewels Empty
PostSubject: Re: baby jewels   baby jewels EmptySun Mar 07, 2010 3:24 pm

nice, any pics of the parents? i had a pair of jewels in one of my mbuna tanks a while back that would breed for me like crazy, its alot of fun, gl with the fry, imo growing out fry is one of the best parts of fish keeping
Back to top Go down
cyndrine
cyndrine

baby jewels Empty
PostSubject: Re: baby jewels   baby jewels EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 5:01 pm

I,m on facebook if anyone else is and a member of the group there. I think i recently posted pics there and somewhere else here when i first got them. will be taking more pics soon. if your on facebook and a member of the group my profile pic is of some of our birds currently. And the pics in my fish album there under pam clark. if you want to be a friend invite me and note freshwater so i know.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

baby jewels Empty
PostSubject: Re: baby jewels   baby jewels Empty

Back to top Go down

baby jewels
Page 1 of 1