Freshwater Madness
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RegisterHomeSearchLatest imagesLog inFWMadnessGallery
Similar topics

Arowana?! I has the brain worms.

Go down 
+3
Mostlycichlids
Mike D
saint_felony
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Wyomingite
Fish Wrangler
Wyomingite

Male Posts : 1781

Humor : "I drank what?" - Socrates
Favorite Fish : I won't choose and ya can't make me!

Arowana?! I has the brain worms. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Arowana?! I has the brain worms.   Arowana?! I has the brain worms. - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 11, 2009 10:02 pm

saint_felony wrote:
w.o.w. Ivan.

That's freakin' *awesome*

I wish I had that sort of access to fish journals. With some of the fish I've taken in there are times when I'm totally just winging it, and hoping I'm doing it right.

Like that Aro, thankfully there was enough info online that I was covered with him, but I'm definitely jealous. Smile

You know anything else I should be watching out for with this guy? Anything I'm missing diet or otherwise?

Sorry, Saint, didn't catch this post yesterday. Avoid feeders and fatty food. High fat content in food is suspected as a possible cause of drop eye. Since he's missin' an eye already, drop eye in the other would be unpleasant. Make sure he has plenty of swimmin' space, though I figure ya got that one figured out already.

I wish I had time to get to Laramie and the library more than I do. 'Twas a lot easier to find time when I was single without kids. No soccer, no baseball, basement could be finished at MY leisure, LOL.

w.o.w? Don't know what that one means.

WYite
Back to top Go down
saint_felony
The Turtle Whisperer
saint_felony

PostSubject: Re: Arowana?! I has the brain worms.   Arowana?! I has the brain worms. - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 12, 2009 2:37 am

Wow. Only said slower with a lot more emphasis. I was tired, cut me some slack here. Smile

How bout zomfg!!1! is that better? Wink

Anyway. I did some research on drop eye, and it would appear that he has it, already, however it doesn't appear to be bad. I'm not sure how he was kept previously, but when I got him, he had been in the highest tank on the wall, so I'm sure that didn't help anything. Also no idea what they were feeding him. I suspect whatever it was was cheap tho.

Everything now is floating, and maybe I'll try grabbing some ping pong balls or something that floats to keep him entertained? Looking up? Seems like I should pull his tank mate too. I'm sure looking down to check out the other fish don't help either.
Back to top Go down
Silver Dollar Dude
Banned

Male Posts : 910

PostSubject: Re: Arowana?! I has the brain worms.   Arowana?! I has the brain worms. - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 12, 2009 6:43 am

saint_felony wrote:
Wow. Only said slower with a lot more emphasis. I was tired, cut me some slack here. Smile

How bout zomfg!!1! is that better? Wink

Anyway. I did some research on drop eye, and it would appear that he has it, already, however it doesn't appear to be bad. I'm not sure how he was kept previously, but when I got him, he had been in the highest tank on the wall, so I'm sure that didn't help anything. Also no idea what they were feeding him. I suspect whatever it was was cheap tho.

Everything now is floating, and maybe I'll try grabbing some ping pong balls or something that floats to keep him entertained? Looking up? Seems like I should pull his tank mate too. I'm sure looking down to check out the other fish don't help either.
What are his tankmates?
Back to top Go down
saint_felony
The Turtle Whisperer
saint_felony

PostSubject: Re: Arowana?! I has the brain worms.   Arowana?! I has the brain worms. - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 12, 2009 11:01 pm

One Uaru, that was at the store with him in the same tank, and one small, regular old pleco, to keep the algae down.

The pleco I'm not worried about being a distraction since in general they don't move a whole lot, but that Urau wanders around the bottom middle of the tank like it owns the place, because it pretty much does. Smile

If it helps keep the drop eye from getting worse, it's all good.
Back to top Go down
Wyomingite
Fish Wrangler
Wyomingite

Male Posts : 1781

Humor : "I drank what?" - Socrates
Favorite Fish : I won't choose and ya can't make me!

PostSubject: Re: Arowana?! I has the brain worms.   Arowana?! I has the brain worms. - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 13, 2009 12:36 am

Didn't even notice the eye when ya posted the pics, looked more at the color. Think you're right though, does look like he already has it. Sounds to me you're doin' everything ya can to help him.

If ya have someplace else to put the uaru, couldn't hurt. I don't think I'd worry 'bout the pleco.

Good luck.

WYite
Back to top Go down
saint_felony
The Turtle Whisperer
saint_felony

PostSubject: Re: Arowana?! I has the brain worms.   Arowana?! I has the brain worms. - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 13, 2009 2:27 am

I have some angels that are off quarantine here, I think I'll try the uaru in with them and see what happens.

The 4yr old donated a few floating toys to try out with him too. I just need to wash them off first. Who knows where he's had them or what he's done with them. Smile I'm sure the people who normally keep aros would mock me for having two rubber duckies to help with the drop eye. Smile

At least it's better than some of the things I've been reading about drop eye. I was reading a forum from Singapore about how there are people who manually cram the eyes back up in the socket to "treat" drop eye. I physically cringed reading that. Poor fishies. If it's a build up of fat, where the hell is it going to go. At least there was one doctor in Japan that had developed a surgical procedure for it by liposuctioning the fat out and then some sort of plastic surgery technique to tighten the muscles around the eye. For what some of the asians sell for I can see people doing that.

Right now I need to figure out what to do with feeding him while I'm away. I'm going to be gone 4 days. I was thinking I could just load him with dried shrimps and then feed him again when I get back.
Back to top Go down
Silver Dollar Dude
Banned

PostSubject: Re: Arowana?! I has the brain worms.   Arowana?! I has the brain worms. - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 13, 2009 6:50 am

saint_felony wrote:
One Uaru, that was at the store with him in the same tank, and one small, regular old pleco, to keep the algae down.

The pleco I'm not worried about being a distraction since in general they don't move a whole lot, but that Urau wanders around the bottom middle of the tank like it owns the place, because it pretty much does. Smile

If it helps keep the drop eye from getting worse, it's all good.
WOW I love uarus post a pic of him
Back to top Go down
saint_felony
The Turtle Whisperer
saint_felony

PostSubject: Re: Arowana?! I has the brain worms.   Arowana?! I has the brain worms. - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 13, 2009 6:53 pm

Sorry. The Uaru didn't get along with the angels, so I ended up dropping it off with my mom this afternoon. She had a 20g a single blood parrot and she said she liked it last time she was over.

Next time I stop by her house I'll get you a pic or two. Smile
Back to top Go down
Silver Dollar Dude
Banned

PostSubject: Re: Arowana?! I has the brain worms.   Arowana?! I has the brain worms. - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 14, 2009 6:34 am

saint_felony wrote:
Sorry. The Uaru didn't get along with the angels, so I ended up dropping it off with my mom this afternoon. She had a 20g a single blood parrot and she said she liked it last time she was over.

Next time I stop by her house I'll get you a pic or two. Smile
Ok Thanks
Back to top Go down
jsorensen
jsorensen

Male Posts : 331

Favorite Fish : Plakat Betta

PostSubject: Re: Arowana?! I has the brain worms.   Arowana?! I has the brain worms. - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 30, 2009 5:26 pm

updates do you still have the aro or did you find him a home?
Back to top Go down
saint_felony
The Turtle Whisperer
saint_felony

PostSubject: Re: Arowana?! I has the brain worms.   Arowana?! I has the brain worms. - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 31, 2009 1:41 am

Yep. The one kid got attached to him so he's still here. I have since in my insanity picked up a few babies to grow out and breed to boot.
Back to top Go down
jsorensen
jsorensen

PostSubject: Re: Arowana?! I has the brain worms.   Arowana?! I has the brain worms. - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 31, 2009 7:57 am

wow so how many aros do u have?
Back to top Go down
saint_felony
The Turtle Whisperer
saint_felony

PostSubject: Re: Arowana?! I has the brain worms.   Arowana?! I has the brain worms. - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 31, 2009 12:18 pm

The one rescue, who's about 16 inches. 4 3in silvers and one 3 inch black. Once the black grows out a little more he's most likely going to a new home.
Back to top Go down
jsorensen
jsorensen

PostSubject: Re: Arowana?! I has the brain worms.   Arowana?! I has the brain worms. - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 31, 2009 7:54 pm

could you post pics of the black never seen one before not even in the LFS is it illegeal to most?
Back to top Go down
saint_felony
The Turtle Whisperer
saint_felony

PostSubject: Re: Arowana?! I has the brain worms.   Arowana?! I has the brain worms. - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 31, 2009 11:00 pm

They're a South American variety, not illegal. They're growing out in pond plant baskets right now, so pics won't be that hot. I'm redoing some shelves for some more tanks and I'll move it in a tank to get some pictures.

Look around online for Osteoglossum ferreirai and you'll find bunches of pictures of adults too.
Back to top Go down
jsorensen
jsorensen

PostSubject: Re: Arowana?! I has the brain worms.   Arowana?! I has the brain worms. - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 31, 2009 11:02 pm

wow those are cool but i still like the silver ones lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Arowana?! I has the brain worms.   Arowana?! I has the brain worms. - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Arowana?! I has the brain worms.
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2