Freshwater Madness
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RegisterHomeSearchLatest imagesLog inFWMadnessGallery

Marimo Ball

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Ivy
Ivy

Female Posts : 43

Favorite Fish : Stingrays and skates

Marimo Ball Empty
PostSubject: Marimo Ball   Marimo Ball EmptySat Apr 18, 2009 12:44 am

I purchased a Marimo ball (tribble) from Dr. Foster and Smith and it arrived today. Its really cool and seems to have a "personality" in a weird plant like sort of way. It will actually rotate against the current to get even amounts of light. I have 65W 6500K lighting. It seems to accept a variety of conditions so I can't wait to see how it will do. Does anyone else have one of these? The light has been off for a couple of hours and it is still floating. How long will it take for it to sink? I know that they rise and sink to complete their daily photosynthesis but should I tie it down at all or will it sink on its own? The fish seem pretty confused by it, and watching their reaction to it has been comical to say the least. Thanks again
Back to top Go down
Redneck Woman
Invert Junkie
Redneck Woman

Female Posts : 784

Favorite Fish : angels,but kribs are a very close second

Marimo Ball Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marimo Ball   Marimo Ball EmptySat Apr 18, 2009 10:11 am

I have four of them.(wish I had more)lol It shouldn't float. Try squeezing it out a couple of times under water. Kinda like a sponge. It should sink.
Back to top Go down
Ivy
Ivy

Female Posts : 43

Favorite Fish : Stingrays and skates

Marimo Ball Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marimo Ball   Marimo Ball EmptySat Apr 18, 2009 8:11 pm

Yea, I gave it a gentle squeeze last night and it slowly floated to the bottom after a bunch of trapped air escaped. It is already pearling from the photosynthesis reaction, so I hope it will start to float and sink on its own. Does yours do that?
Back to top Go down
Redneck Woman
Invert Junkie
Redneck Woman

Female Posts : 784

Favorite Fish : angels,but kribs are a very close second

Marimo Ball Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marimo Ball   Marimo Ball EmptySat Apr 18, 2009 8:14 pm

Mine do that. I give mine a pretty good squeeze. The more air you get out the more it sinks.
Back to top Go down
lethalcustoms00
lethalcustoms00

Male Posts : 102

Humor : i found my ferret trying to swim in my sump
Favorite Fish : that one i have in that tank in the other room, you know, that one

Marimo Ball Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marimo Ball   Marimo Ball EmptyThu Mar 15, 2012 10:12 pm

i just had to pull mine out tonight and give it a good cleaning. i recently almost doubled my lighting and the marimo ball started to look like it was shedding. I got it out and cleaned all the excess off, and i have started a few new baby moss balls. But now that all the sand and yuk has been rinsed out of it mine wants to float around too. If it doesnt sink my morning ill give it a squeeze to help it along.
Back to top Go down
lethalcustoms00
lethalcustoms00

Male Posts : 102

Humor : i found my ferret trying to swim in my sump
Favorite Fish : that one i have in that tank in the other room, you know, that one

Marimo Ball Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marimo Ball   Marimo Ball EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 1:26 am

i have since bought another ball, and it doesnt float at all. neither does my big one anymore actually
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Marimo Ball Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marimo Ball   Marimo Ball Empty

Back to top Go down

Marimo Ball
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Freshwater Madness :: General Freshwater Madness :: Planted Tank Madness-
Jump to: