Freshwater Madness
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RegisterHomeSearchLatest imagesLog inFWMadnessGallery
Similar topics

SPECIES PROFILE: PUNDAMILIA NYEREREI (PYTHON ISLAND)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
DragonKeeper
DragonKeeper

profile - SPECIES PROFILE: PUNDAMILIA NYEREREI (PYTHON ISLAND) Empty
PostSubject: SPECIES PROFILE: PUNDAMILIA NYEREREI (PYTHON ISLAND)   profile - SPECIES PROFILE: PUNDAMILIA NYEREREI (PYTHON ISLAND) EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 2:45 pm

profile - SPECIES PROFILE: PUNDAMILIA NYEREREI (PYTHON ISLAND) Nyererei

SCIENTIFIC NAME(s): Pundamilia nyererei (Python Island)

COMMON NAME(s): Nyererei, Pythons

ORIGIN: Python Island near the Tanzanian cost of Lake Victoria. Other variations of this species can be found through out the Victoria Basin area

FAMILY:Cichlidae

SPECIES TYPE: Nyererei

MAXIMUM SIZE;: 4 Inches, but probably a little larger in the home aquarium

LIFE SPAN:5yrs

NATURAL HABITAT: Shallow rocky areas around the island.

DIET: Nyererei are insectivores feeding on any lavae or aquatic insect they may find hiding in and around the rocks

TEMPERATURE: 78 -82 degrees

PH: from 7.2 to 8.6. Stable is better than being able to keep in this range

TANK SIZE: breeding group of 6 will be fine in a 40 breeder with lots of rocks or other hiding places

TANK REGION: Males tend to hang nearer the rocks while females, subadults, and nondominate males will be in the upper water column.

TEMPERMENT: Not all that aggressive against other tankmates, but they can be very hard on conspecifics.

TANK MATES: Other cichlids of the same size and temper will be fine with Nyererei. I would not place another species of Victorian cichlid that is similar looking to Nyererei as they could hybridize easily.

FILTRATION AND SETUP: Typical cichlid tank filtration is sufficient. I had 2 air driven sponges in my tank and never had a problem with foul water.

COLORATION: Males will have the brilliant reds, yellows, and sometimes blues with black barring from head to tail. Females are much less attractive as they have very little color in their bodies. I have seen where there is just a little yellow tint in the fins and the bodies are a dull shade of gray with the barring.

BREEDING: Nyererei are very easy to breed although holding females can become aggressive even to the point of chasing males away from her. I have found that a possible reason for this is to maintain an area of security around her when she is ready to release her fry. Thus maximizing the survival rate of the offspring.[i]
Back to top Go down

SPECIES PROFILE: PUNDAMILIA NYEREREI (PYTHON ISLAND)
Page 1 of 1