Freshwater Madness
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RegisterHomeSearchLatest imagesLog inFWMadnessGallery

trophus dubosi

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
lethalcustoms00
lethalcustoms00

Male Posts : 102

Humor : i found my ferret trying to swim in my sump
Favorite Fish : that one i have in that tank in the other room, you know, that one

trophus dubosi Empty
PostSubject: trophus dubosi   trophus dubosi EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 12:07 am

what can anybody here tell me abot these fish? my lfs has 2 ver juvenile ones, and i want 'em. i know that they are a tang. I know they are stricty vegitarian, susceptable to bloat. what I want to know is: being a tang, are they compatable with n. brichardi? what if i just put one in withthe brichardi, will it be ok? what about malawi cichlids, would one be ok with them? (my castaway brichardi lives in that tank).
Back to top Go down
Wyomingite
Fish Wrangler
Wyomingite

Male Posts : 1781

Humor : "I drank what?" - Socrates
Favorite Fish : I won't choose and ya can't make me!

trophus dubosi Empty
PostSubject: Re: trophus dubosi   trophus dubosi EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 12:48 am

Years ago I kept two in a tank with a breeding colony of brichardi. The brichardi left 'em alone, the two duboisi picked on each other. I later found out it's recommendwed that they be kept in a group to disperse aggression, as they tend to get aggressive with each other. Never kept them with mbuna and can't tell ya how'd that go. I suspect the duboisi would hold their own. But ya definitely want to get another opinion or two before ya add them to a mbuna tank rather than relying on my limited observations.

WYite
Back to top Go down
lethalcustoms00
lethalcustoms00

Male Posts : 102

Humor : i found my ferret trying to swim in my sump
Favorite Fish : that one i have in that tank in the other room, you know, that one

trophus dubosi Empty
PostSubject: Re: trophus dubosi   trophus dubosi EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 12:57 am

thats a big help actually. what you had is exactly what i want to do
Back to top Go down
DragonKeeper
DragonKeeper

trophus dubosi Empty
PostSubject: Re: trophus dubosi   trophus dubosi EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 6:34 pm

As Wyite said bigger the group the better. They should be fine with the brichardi until the brichardi spawn. Then it could get a little dicy. As far as keeping them with mbuna I wouldn't. Tropheus are hard enough on themselves without having to deal with the unrelenting attitude of mbuna.

Keeper
Back to top Go down
Grumpa
Master Profiler
Grumpa

Male Posts : 1220

Humor : Not often
Favorite Fish : tanganikian

trophus dubosi Empty
PostSubject: Re: trophus dubosi   trophus dubosi EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 8:45 am

They get bloat very easy watch what you feed them.
Back to top Go down
DragonKeeper
DragonKeeper

trophus dubosi Empty
PostSubject: Re: trophus dubosi   trophus dubosi EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 4:48 pm

Grumpa wrote:
They get bloat very easy watch what you feed them.

I believe that the bloat thing is more related to stress than diet. I currently feed my Trophs NLS and have had no problems.

Keeper
Back to top Go down
Grumpa
Master Profiler
Grumpa

Male Posts : 1220

Humor : Not often
Favorite Fish : tanganikian

trophus dubosi Empty
PostSubject: Re: trophus dubosi   trophus dubosi EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 8:19 pm

You will one day ! i promise you ! Trophus dubosi are not meat eaters my friend. I found out the hard way myself there dragon. I fed mine nls for 1 1/2 years and found out they got bloat for the toxic build up of not being able to fully digest the meat flake. Some it can happen in a month others it can take a few years but it will happen if you feed them meat!!
Back to top Go down
lincoln93k
lincoln93k

trophus dubosi Empty
PostSubject: Re: trophus dubosi   trophus dubosi EmptySat May 11, 2013 9:55 pm

I have been raising tropheus for over 2yrs. I have lost a few over time but never experience bloat. I have 25 Bulu Point Cherry Spots, all between 4-5". I have never tried to breed them but I have notice frys in there from time to time, never took the time to try to catch and raise them so I think my catfish and pleco eats them. Dubois Maswa are beautiful fish once they start to band up. I feed them Sprulina Flakes 3x a day, water change 1x month about half of 150 gal
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

trophus dubosi Empty
PostSubject: Re: trophus dubosi   trophus dubosi Empty

Back to top Go down

trophus dubosi
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Freshwater Madness :: Cichlid Enthusiast Madness :: Old World Cichlids :: Tropheus & Petrochromis-
Jump to: