Freshwater Madness
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RegisterHomeSearchLatest imagesLog inFWMadnessGallery

Species Profile: Kuhli Loach (Pangio Kuhlii)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
dirtydawg10
Global Moderator
dirtydawg10

Male Posts : 3098

Favorite Fish : Severum

profile - Species Profile: Kuhli Loach (Pangio Kuhlii) Empty
PostSubject: Species Profile: Kuhli Loach (Pangio Kuhlii)   profile - Species Profile: Kuhli Loach (Pangio Kuhlii) EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 9:19 am

Kuhli Loach (Pangio Kuhlii)

Scientific Name(s): Pangio Kuhlii

Synonyms:

Common Name(s): Kuhli loach, Coolie loach

Origin: Southeast Asia

Family: Cobitidae

Species Type: Serpentine loach

Maximum Size: 4 in/10 cm

Life Span: 8 years

Natural Habitat: Streams of Borneo, Java, Malaysia, Sumatra and Thailand.

Diet: Small frozen and prepared foods. Small pellets, flake and live foods. I have found that Kuhlis will eat just about anything you put in their tank. They have a very good sense of smell and can find small bits of food quickly in a sandy or gravel bottom tank.

Temperature: 75-86�/ 24�-30�C

pH: 5.5-6.5

Minimum Tank Size: 10 gallons

Tank Region: Bottom. They will occasionally move rapidly side to side and swim to the middle or top of the tank. I have also found my Kuhlis resting in strange locations on tops of plants, heaters or other d�cor closer to the top of the tank.

Temperament: Kuhlis are very peaceful fish. They do best in a group with a minimum of five to six fish. They love to dig and burrow for shelter and for food and have been known to get lost in your tank or filter. I have a Kuhli who was missing for weeks. I thought for sure it was gone. One day he came out from his hiding spot with a few scrapes and scratches and looking quite a bit thinner but has gone on to live a long healthy life.

Possible Tank Mates: They do well in species tanks and/or with smaller schooling fish with a similar temperament. Not recommended for cohabitation with larger fish that could see the Kuhli as food.

Filtration and Setup: No special filtration is required for these fish but their water should be kept very clean. They will do better in a planted tank. Keep in mind if you have an under gravel filter that they love to dig and burrow and may interfere or get stuck under your filter.

Coloration: Kuhlis are typically reddish-brown (sometimes darker, almost black) with golden striping and bellies. Females are often plumper while breeding and the males are more slender.

Breeding: Kuhlis have been known to breed in an aquarium. Typically this happens within higher concentrations of fish in a tank and in a densely planted tank. The Kuhli will scatter their green eggs along the bottom of the tank among the vegetation.

profile - Species Profile: Kuhli Loach (Pangio Kuhlii) Dscn1889sq1

profile - Species Profile: Kuhli Loach (Pangio Kuhlii) Dscn02194493202
Back to top Go down

Species Profile: Kuhli Loach (Pangio Kuhlii)
Page 1 of 1