Freshwater Madness
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RegisterHomeSearchLatest imagesLog inFWMadnessGallery

SPECIES PROFILE: Metriaclima Hajomaylandi

Go down 
AuthorMessage
chrisg12887
chrisg12887

Male Posts : 35

Humor : I love to laugh!
Favorite Fish : too many! but right now my WC Pseudotropheus Flavus

profile - SPECIES PROFILE: Metriaclima Hajomaylandi Empty
PostSubject: SPECIES PROFILE: Metriaclima Hajomaylandi   profile - SPECIES PROFILE: Metriaclima Hajomaylandi EmptyWed Oct 07, 2009 2:12 am

Metriaclima Hajomaylandi

Scientific Name(s): Metriaclima Hajomaylandi

Common Name(s): Maylandi Hajomaylandi (some still use this), Greeberi, Zebra Greeberi, Maylandi Zebra Greeberi

Origin:
Chizumulu Island, Malawi

Family: Cichlidae

Species Type: Mbuna (rock dweller)

Maximum Size:
5-6 inches

Life Span: Average 4-10 yrs but can live longer

Natural Habitat: Rocky habitat, reef lake

Diet: Omnivore, takes both pellets and flakes and occasionally frozen foods. I feed mostly vegetable matter to avoid bloat

Temperature: 78F-82F

PH: 7-8-8-6

Minimum Tank Size: 75 gallon or larger would be best as they tend to be on the larger side of what most mbunas get.

Tank Region: Mostly stays on the bottom digging in caves

Temperament:
Very Aggressive

Possible Tank Mates: Any other aggressive african cichlids of equal size

Filtration and Setup:
Lots of filtration would be best to keep the water clean. Tank should be setup with lots of rocks so the males can have territories to avoid too much aggression.

Coloration:
Males are generally yellow and lavender but when in breeding mood they tend to turn pale/white and yellow. Females are not as bright as the males but are as well yellow and grayish/lavender. Juvies/fry are as well yellow and lavender.

Breeding: The males will begin to court the females when he wants to breed and will take over a spot in the tank and begin to dig. Shortly after the pair will breed and since these fish are maternal mouthbrooders, the females will hold the eggs in her mouth(bucal cavity). The females will continue to hold the eggs in their mouth until the eggs become wigglers which can take about 18-21 days.

Comments:
This is a very beautiful species of Mbuna, at least to me. Males are generally yellow and lavender but when in breeding mood they tend to turn pale/white and yellow. Females are not as bright as the males but are as well yellow and grayish/lavender. Juvies are as well yellow and lavender. They way I tell the differences between the males and females is that the males anal fin will turn white where on the females they remain yellow. These species of Mbuna do tend to be very aggressive as most other Mbunas especially during spawning. I recommend having a large aquarium with lots of rocks and caves for hiding spots. Make sure to have a good amount of females for the males as he will harass them when he wants to breed.

Male
profile - SPECIES PROFILE: Metriaclima Hajomaylandi GEDC0272-1 profile - SPECIES PROFILE: Metriaclima Hajomaylandi GEDC0185-1-1

Female
profile - SPECIES PROFILE: Metriaclima Hajomaylandi A_66-1 profile - SPECIES PROFILE: Metriaclima Hajomaylandi GEDC0181-1

Fry
profile - SPECIES PROFILE: Metriaclima Hajomaylandi GEDC0797-1 profile - SPECIES PROFILE: Metriaclima Hajomaylandi GEDC0795-1
Back to top Go down
http://www.mbunamadness.com

SPECIES PROFILE: Metriaclima Hajomaylandi
Page 1 of 1