Freshwater Madness
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RegisterHomeSearchLatest imagesLog inFWMadnessGallery
Similar topics

Senegal Bichir (Polypterus Senegalus)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
SBL
SBL

Male Posts : 413

Favorite Fish : Right now, any fish I own.

Senegal Bichir (Polypterus Senegalus) Empty
PostSubject: Senegal Bichir (Polypterus Senegalus)   Senegal Bichir (Polypterus Senegalus) EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 11:04 am

Senegal Bichir (Polypterus Senegalus) Oddbal333
Photo from Aqualand Pets Plus

Scientific Name(s): Polpterus Senegalus

Common Name(s): Senegal Bichir, Curvier Bichir, Gray Bichir, Dragonfin

Origin: Central Africa, Senegal, Niger, Gambia, and Lake Albert

Family: Polypteridae

Species Type: Bichir

Maximum Size: 12-16 inches but, some grow larger.

Life Span: Average is 10-20 years, but some 30+ years

Natural Habitat: Their natural habitat is the muggy swamps of Africa and also the slow riverbanks of the various rivers of Africa. They are greyish brown with a few black specks on their back, giving them perfect cover in the brown from sediment waters and keep hungry birds of prey above from seeing their body.

Diet: A good diet for these fish is meaty foods like krill, shrimp, worms, and even lizards and frogs. They can also be trained to take flakes and pellets.

Temperature: 65F-90F

PH: 6.0 to 7.5

Minimum Tank Size: At least 55 U.S. Gallons.

Tank Region: Typically the bottom, but in my experience with my 4 incher, everywhere. She stays by the glass waiting for freeze dried plankton to fall from my hand.

Temperament: Mellow when about 3-4 inches but becomes aggressive, trying to eat any fish that turns their back to it.

Possible Tank Mates: No small fish here, but some of the large peaceful Cichlids and other large fish. Maybe a big group of Giant Danios may be ok too.

Filtration and Setup: There is rarely to much filtration in any tank, but you don't need the 10x-20x turnover like Oscars

Sexing: Many say the number of dorsal spines on their back determines sex, like female has 9-10 and male has 11-13. Many also say males have broader anal fins.

Breeding: They have been bred (thus albino version) but, very little info is on the internet about breeding these prehistoric fish.
Back to top Go down

Senegal Bichir (Polypterus Senegalus)
Page 1 of 1