Freshwater Madness
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RegisterHomeSearchLatest imagesLog inFWMadnessGallery

Species Profile Jaguar cichlid

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mike D
DIY Guy
Mike D

Male Posts : 1842

Humor : You can't offend me

Species Profile Jaguar cichlid Empty
PostSubject: Species Profile Jaguar cichlid   Species Profile Jaguar cichlid EmptyTue Nov 18, 2008 12:45 am

Jaguar Cichlid
Parachromis managuense

Scientific Name: Parachromis managuense

Common Name: Jaguar Cichlid

Family: Cichlidae

Species Type: Central American Cichlids

Size: 18" for males and 14" for females. Side note: If jaguars are given the proper care they can grow much larger.

Life span: If given the proper care 15+ years.

Originates from: Eastern Honduras, Lake Managua, Lake Nicaragua, Costa Rica

Minimum tank size:
125 gallons for a single juvenile jaguar and 180 gallons for a breeding pair.

Water region: Middle to lower levels

Temperature Range: 72°F-80°F

PH Range: 7.0 to 7.8. Jaguars are very tolerant and if you properly acclimate them, they will accept a wider range of ph.

Diet: Carnivore. Jaguars should be provided with a varied diet of pellets, food sticks, live, frozen, and freeze dried foods. Wild Jaguars are enthusiastic predators feeding mostly on smaller fishes.

Temperament: Aggressive.

Tank Mates: Other larger Cichlids. In my opinion if you are looking for tank mates make sure your tank is over 200 gallons. A good rule or thumb for these fish is if it can fit in the jaguars mouth it WILL eat it.

Description: Jaguars are beautiful fish with a goldish yellow background and black markings all over the body that sort of resemble the markings of a jaguar. Jaguars have a horrible reputation of being completely belligerent. From what I’ve seen and owners I’ve talked with all agree that it is rare to come across one that is truly belligerent and not just territorial. Jaguars will flare at intruders to let them know that they are in there space but unless the other fish initiates a turf war, the jaguar will rarely provoke any drama given there is plenty of tank space. Now here’s the flip side, when Jaguars are spawning all bets are off. It is my firm belief that a breeding pair of jaguars MUST be kept alone or they will kill everything in the tank.

Sexing: Sexing the jaguar is very difficult to do when they are young because they all have black striping covering there bodies. When the male reaches maturity the striping will nearly if not completely vanish whereas the females stripes will stay with them for life. Males are also gold with black speckles and are much larger than females.

Breeding: Jaguars are sexually mature by 4 inches and the female can lay up to 500 eggs. The female will lay the eggs on a flat surface while the male follows up and fertilizes them. The female will then fan the eggs wile the male guards the perimeter. Remember the comment I made about the jaguar not being to aggressive, that is not the case anymore! When spawning jaguars will be hyper aggressive and if you have tank mates you better rehome them quick because once young are present, all bets are off. The young will hatch around 3 to 5 day's after being laid. They then become wrigglers feeding on their yolk sacs. About 5 to 8 day's later they are free swimming and can be fed, micro worms, baby brine, crushed flake and my first bites. People who breed jaguars will keep there pairs in a divided tank. The divider will have a section cut out just small enough for the female to fit through and escape an overly aggressive male.

Female
Species Profile Jaguar cichlid IMG_0263

Male
Species Profile Jaguar cichlid Jag1
Photo courtesy of balton777

Male
Species Profile Jaguar cichlid Jagpng10
Photo courtesy of Rallysman
Back to top Go down

Species Profile Jaguar cichlid
Page 1 of 1