Freshwater Madness
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RegisterHomeSearchLatest imagesLog inFWMadnessGallery
Similar topics

Cichlids

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Wyomingite
Fish Wrangler
Wyomingite

Male Posts : 1781

Humor : "I drank what?" - Socrates
Favorite Fish : I won't choose and ya can't make me!

Cichlids - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cichlids   Cichlids - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 19, 2010 8:37 pm

[quote="Mostlycichlids"]
SBL wrote:

1beataway wrote:
I have this really nice older customer who had a freshwater community tank, and they all eventually died (she had it for years) and she wanted to change over to the African cichlids because she has always liked the way they look. She knew they were aggressive, but she wanted to try.

She has a 40 or 50 gallon. I've been helping her decide. Now I wish I had some of this information when she started. I would feel horrid if I told her something wrong. She's been getting 1 each of a few different fish...is this ok? Let's see...I know she has a bumblebee, and either a Kenyi or Aurustus (or however you spell it), an Ice Blue...I'm not sure what else. She wants bright colors. She really wants a bright blue one but none that we have in the store are as bright as she wants. A lot of ours are small though.

I'm not sure if I have already asked this yet or not...Some people have said they have had luck with cichlids and kissing gouramis. I wouldn't think they would mix. Opinion? What about large bala sharks and cichlids?

Has anyone noticed if jack dempsey's get really aggressive with much smaller dempsey's? It just seems in the tanks at work, I have -never- seen one pick on a smaller one, and we don't usually have them at a similar size.
I wouldnt mix African Mbuna with gouramis....bala sharks maybe but only if the tank is large enough. I think she will be ok with a mixed tank, just make sure she has lots of rock work and hiding spots and has a large stock too little and they will pick on each other. Also Jack Dempsey's are ok with smaller Dempseys as long as they are close in size....IMO they are very lazy and arent as aggressive as some tend to believe.

Agreed all the way around. 4" jack dempseys aren't good with 1 1/2" Altolamprologus compressiceps, though...but that is another post...

WYite-who is now the proud owner of a slightly beat-up A. compressiceps...
Back to top Go down
saint_felony
The Turtle Whisperer
saint_felony

Cichlids - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cichlids   Cichlids - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 20, 2010 1:18 am

It's one of the things I really like about Dempseys. Not counting breeding, I love their don't start no shit, won't be any shit attitude.

I wish more of the big boy cichlids behaved like that.
Back to top Go down

Cichlids - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cichlids   Cichlids - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 20, 2010 10:04 pm

I had always heard Jack Dempsey's was one of the most aggressive, and that's why you can mix them with oscars and pacus.
Back to top Go down
Wyomingite
Fish Wrangler
Wyomingite

Male Posts : 1781

Humor : "I drank what?" - Socrates
Favorite Fish : I won't choose and ya can't make me!

Cichlids - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cichlids   Cichlids - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 21, 2010 1:26 am

They're tough, but IME not especially aggressive. I think a lot of times with larger fish the distinction between tough and aggressive gets blurred. As saint said, my experience is they generally don't bug other fish unless bugged first, but they will retaliate if pushed.

WYite
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cichlids - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cichlids   Cichlids - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Cichlids
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2