Freshwater Madness
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RegisterHomeSearchLatest imagesLog inFWMadnessGallery
Similar topics

Blue Claw Whisker Shrimp?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
little_fishies
little_fishies

Female Posts : 6

Humor : Depends on the day...

BLUE - Blue Claw Whisker Shrimp? Empty
PostSubject: Blue Claw Whisker Shrimp?   BLUE - Blue Claw Whisker Shrimp? EmptyTue Aug 02, 2011 12:47 am

So my hubby likes to just buy random things for our 20 gallon tank and recently bought a Blue Claw Whisker Shrimp. I really am not finding much information about them online, and I need some. We just found him "beating up" one of our snails, and it suddenly in the last days it has this yellow thing in it's head. We're also trying to figure out if it's male or female.

He bought the shrimp from Big Al's and it had the green sticker, which meant it was a community fish, but I'm begining to think maybe not so much. I don't want to get rid of it, but if I need to go get him a little tank of it's own, I need to know before it kills off any fish. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
dirtydawg10
Global Moderator
dirtydawg10

Male Posts : 3098

Favorite Fish : Severum

PostSubject: Re: Blue Claw Whisker Shrimp?   BLUE - Blue Claw Whisker Shrimp? EmptyTue Aug 02, 2011 10:40 am

I'm not familiar at all with those kind of shrimp. You should always research your purchases before you buy IMO. It will be better for your fish and your wallet. In the meantime do some searching on the internet for that type of shrimp and see what you can come up with.
Back to top Go down
dirtydawg10
Global Moderator
dirtydawg10

PostSubject: Re: Blue Claw Whisker Shrimp?   BLUE - Blue Claw Whisker Shrimp? EmptyTue Aug 02, 2011 10:48 am

Just doing a quick search...I'm guessing that the "Blue claw" part was added by the person selling the shrimp to jazz up the name and get more people to buy them for the blue color. They are most likely Indian whisker shrimp and can be a bit agressive apparently. As much as a shrimp can be agressive. May go after something small and slow like a snail.
Back to top Go down
saint_felony
The Turtle Whisperer
saint_felony

PostSubject: Re: Blue Claw Whisker Shrimp?   BLUE - Blue Claw Whisker Shrimp? EmptyTue Aug 02, 2011 7:30 pm

Ghost shrimp will eat the little pondie snails, so I imagine that those guys would too. Be glad mantis shrimp are saltwater. Smile
Back to top Go down
little_fishies
little_fishies

Female Posts : 6

Humor : Depends on the day...

PostSubject: Re: Blue Claw Whisker Shrimp?   BLUE - Blue Claw Whisker Shrimp? EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 12:28 am

I went back to Big Al's today to talk to them about the shrimp. They're guessing that based on what we described, and pointed out a similar shrimp in their tank that our shrimp is pregnant. She may have gotten a little agressive because of that, and that it also could be she's ready to drop. Most times all the fish in the tank leave her alone, and say away from her little favourite area. The snail may have just wondered through. We fed the tank, everyone seemed to calm down and had a peaceful night. The yellow thing was gone by morning, and when we looked at the other shrimps at Big Als, they all had different colours. Could have been something she ate.

Usualy we research before buying, this was the first purchase that we hadn't found much information on. But Big Al's people said we should be ok....here's hoping. Just not sure if I'm looking forward to baby shrimp or not...
Back to top Go down
dirtydawg10
Global Moderator
dirtydawg10

PostSubject: Re: Blue Claw Whisker Shrimp?   BLUE - Blue Claw Whisker Shrimp? EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 4:05 pm

You would know. You should see a whole bunch of eggs under the females tail if she is berried. Look up pics of berried shrimp.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Blue Claw Whisker Shrimp?   BLUE - Blue Claw Whisker Shrimp? Empty

Back to top Go down

Blue Claw Whisker Shrimp?
Page 1 of 1