Freshwater Madness
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RegisterHomeSearchLatest imagesLog inFWMadnessGallery
Similar topics

Moved my ID and albino oscar

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
tinker477
tinker477

Female Posts : 26

Favorite Fish : Too many to list love my colorful variety of African and S American/Central American Cichlids

oscar - Moved my ID and albino oscar Empty
PostSubject: Moved my ID and albino oscar   oscar - Moved my ID and albino oscar EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 8:52 pm

Sooo I moved my id shark into the 125 and holy cow he soaked my whole living room lol he did hurt himself in transit but not too bad he seems to be adjusting well I took a bunch of the tank decor out to give him ample space to roam. I also moved my albino into the 92 with the other 2 oscars and hes being good so far I actually caught my red oscar whos half the size of the albino being a lil aggressive towards him. Hopefully they will all get along though because im supposed to pick up a dozen very pretty flowerhorn fry tomorrow and for now they are going in the 29 (shopping for a much bigger tank already much to the bfs disdain) im prob not going to keep all the flowerhorns but couldnt pass up the deal and was kinda thinkn bout getting a breeder set up and am now looking for more tanks to set up in the basement for this purpose as well as a couple small tanks for hosp tanks if needed ..... I actually was going to wait til the flowerhorns got bigger and I could sex them (anyone wanna tell me how I may do this or if I may be able to tell sex before I pick out my dozen tom? I believe they are currently 2 to 3 in) and pick out the females and maybe sell the males and buy a male or 2 from a diff strain since the dozen im getting are all siblings. Anyone got any advice?? I cant believe how rapidly I went from no fish to the amount I have now its insane but I really enjoy the hobby esp since ive been out of work due to an injury for the last 6 mo it keeps me busy and I keep finding more pretty fish I want so I need more tanks lol oh and on another note about the id I absolutely see what u meant about spine curvature probs I never noticed his spine was beginning to curve so im happy I moved him
Back to top Go down
Wyomingite
Fish Wrangler
Wyomingite

Male Posts : 1781

Humor : "I drank what?" - Socrates
Favorite Fish : I won't choose and ya can't make me!

PostSubject: Re: Moved my ID and albino oscar   oscar - Moved my ID and albino oscar EmptySat Jun 09, 2012 2:19 am

LMAO, another victim to MTS.

Word of advice, slow down a little bit. Between the four RD fry and the flowerhorns, you're committing to a lot of nasty, large fish in the future with no future home for them. It's kinda like puttin' the cart before the horse, ya know what I mean? It might go well and ya might get the larger tanks up before they need them, but then again circumstances could prevent or delay that as well.

A male RD will easlily reach 10" and possibly more (mine is 12"), ditto for the flowerhorns. The males can also be very abusive to mates when they aren't gettin' the lovin' they think they deserve. Smile A large enough tank to allow the female places to hide and several escape routes, with decor breaking up the line of sight, is a must for these fish in a pair set-up, or the male can potentially kill the female. The larger tank ya can give 'em the better.

Can't tell ya a thing 'bout flowerhorns, other than they are a man-made hybrid. I'm kinda prejudiced against abominations...I mean hybrids, so don't pay much attention to 'em myself. Smile If yer serious 'bout breedin' 'em, ya may not want a pair composed of fish of different strains. Flowerhorns have developed into some pretty specific strains with specific characteristics defining each strain, just like goldfish.

saint_felony has a flowerhorn or two, and has done a bit of research on 'em. He may know a bit 'bout sexing them. I know the males get large nuchal humps, but how early they start to develop, I don't know.

WYite
Back to top Go down
tinker477
tinker477

Female Posts : 26

Favorite Fish : Too many to list love my colorful variety of African and S American/Central American Cichlids

PostSubject: Re: Moved my ID and albino oscar   oscar - Moved my ID and albino oscar EmptySun Jun 10, 2012 2:39 pm

Im grabbing a 75 tom n another 2 10s & a 45 this week and I think I may just rehome the rds, ik a few people who want them and honestly with everything else I have going on I dont think I do. Also the flowerhorns are pretty popular around here and should be relatively easy to get rid of esp since the kid I got them from said I was so nice and pretty he gave me 4 xtra(awww gag me right lol) U think im in deep here u should read the post I put on this morning. But ive been doing my homework and I think ill stick with my africans and the flowerhorns(at least for now might only b a one time thing with the flowerhorns) but please look at my other post n give me some feedback I think a portion of it is more up ur alley Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Moved my ID and albino oscar   oscar - Moved my ID and albino oscar Empty

Back to top Go down

Moved my ID and albino oscar
Page 1 of 1