Freshwater Madness
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RegisterHomeSearchLatest imagesLog inFWMadnessGallery
Similar topics

Floating plants

Go down 
+2
Wyomingite
Madcrawdad
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Madcrawdad
Madcrawdad

Male Posts : 15

Floating plants Empty
PostSubject: Floating plants   Floating plants EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 7:12 pm

I'm interested in adding some floating plants to the tank and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I'm considering water lettuce and duck weed. I also like water hyacinth, but having grown it in a barrel pond a few years ago, I'm concerned that the roots might become unruly in my 75g.

Concerns I have with water lettuce, is the fact that I like to keep the water level on the tank pretty high (nearly all the way to to top rim). I have fairly hard water, and am afraid that lowering the level might leave an unsightly mineral ring on the glass. Not sure that I have enough room for water lettuce, as there's only 1/2"-3/4" between the water level and the versa-tops. Anyone know how much room I'd need? Not really interested in seeing the above-water portion of the plant, but like the effect of the dangling roots, and think the gouramis might appreciate it....maybe give the male gourami a place to blow a bubble nest.

Due to the space constraint between the water level and versa tops, duck weed may be my best option, atm. Only concern I have, is that I could see duck weed being a little messy.

Anyone have experience with floating plants in the tank?
Back to top Go down
Wyomingite
Fish Wrangler
Wyomingite

Male Posts : 1781

Humor : "I drank what?" - Socrates
Favorite Fish : I won't choose and ya can't make me!

Floating plants Empty
PostSubject: Re: Floating plants   Floating plants EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 7:34 pm

Can't really help ya much with the water lettuce and hyacinths.

Not sure what exactly ya mean about being concerned duckweed might be messy. If your concerned about it sticking to the sides, versa-tops and nets, hoses, etc., then that is exactly what it does. It will clog up the screen on the intake of a canister or HOB filter if the suction is too close to the top of the tank and has fine holes, and will get inside and clog up filter media if the holes on the intake screen are too large. This can be corrected by extending the suction tube deeper into the water column. I've never had it drop down in the water column though, and if pushed down by the flow of a filter return it floats back up to the top.

If ya have plants growing in the tank it can grow thick enough to restrict the amount of light making it to the lower plants. it culls easily though, just scoop it out. Other than that it is fairly low maintenance IME.

WYite
Back to top Go down
Mike D
DIY Guy
Mike D

Male Posts : 1842

Humor : You can't offend me

Floating plants Empty
PostSubject: Re: Floating plants   Floating plants EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 8:04 pm

I have chain swords as floaters. As for the duckweed and water lettuce they are restricted in my state so I wont be much help there.

Oh I also have this crap too. I hate it because it has managed to make it into 3 out of 5 tanks and it is a pain to get rid of.
Back to top Go down
marinkafuschia
marinkafuschia

Female Posts : 42

Floating plants Empty
PostSubject: Re: Floating plants   Floating plants EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 9:24 pm

lol I have that crap too Mike D, thankfully it has not taken over yet!
madcrawdad you should go with red root floaters they have red leaves and red roots, they are low and compact and are easy to grow! they are amazing! I never had much luck with the water hyacinth because those unruly roots like you mentioned and they don’t like their roots being cut down much.
Brazilian pennywort is also a great floating plant that I’ve had a lot of success with.
duckweed is also another you could use but it takes off like a rocket and wont stop!
Ive heard alot of people having troubles with the water lettuce but I have no experience with it, I think its really pretty though!
Back to top Go down
saint_felony
The Turtle Whisperer
saint_felony

Floating plants Empty
PostSubject: Re: Floating plants   Floating plants EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 11:21 pm

I keep water lettuce in the hatchling turtle tanks for them to nibble on if they feel like it. The roots at times do get nuts, but they keep it fairly trimmed back. The tanks usually only half to three quarters full however, so the lettuce has plenty of room to grow up. I do this intentionally, since I feed too big water lettuce to other things. You could use an apple snail or two, to keep the roots trimmed, but you've got to play with the snail to plant ratio until you get it right. I have Pomacea canaliculata and you won't keep plants at all, but some of the other ones are less voracious.

Water Hyacinth is more trouble than it's worth, I think. Unless you keep it in with something that will eat off the spent tubers, you need to keep on it so it doesn't rot in the water. Too much effort. Bleh. Good with koi and pacu, I wouldn't keep it with anyone else.

I can't keep duckweed alive down here for anything. I'll have to find some of your crap there Mike, and see if that survives better. If I could keep it growing I would have it in with the goldies and smaller turtles to eat.

One of the things I've had good luck with is using anacharis as a floater. It dangles down and looks nice and is pretty easy to keep maintained. I've had some of it sprout pretty little white flowers as well.

Last edited by saint_felony on Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
1nevrkwitz
Extraordinary Member
1nevrkwitz

Male Posts : 660

Humor : I find humor, amusing.
Favorite Fish : Jack Dempsey

Floating plants Empty
PostSubject: Re: Floating plants   Floating plants EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 11:32 pm

I never have had any flooting plants. I did look up the red root floaters that marinkafuschia suggested and they do look great. Im going to keep an eye out for one of them myself.

I wish ya goodluck with whichever one you choose Madcrawdad.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Floating plants Empty
PostSubject: Re: Floating plants   Floating plants Empty

Back to top Go down

Floating plants
Page 1 of 1