Freshwater Madness
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RegisterHomeSearchLatest imagesLog inFWMadnessGallery
Similar topics

My Pond Update thread

Go down 
+5
Wyomingite
dirtydawg10
Mostlycichlids
1nevrkwitz
Silver Dollar Dude
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
saint_felony
The Turtle Whisperer
saint_felony

My Pond Update thread - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Pond Update thread   My Pond Update thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 31, 2009 10:55 pm

Huh. I had no idea. Tiger Muskies are available, with the breeding farms they're almost common now and go for $30 to $40 bucks.

I can't find any info on max length though so if you really want one, just be sure to do some research. Some of the pics of them I was seeing online they get at least 4ft as adults.
Back to top Go down
jsorensen
jsorensen

Male Posts : 331

Favorite Fish : Plakat Betta

PostSubject: Re: My Pond Update thread   My Pond Update thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 31, 2009 11:03 pm

yeah i know they do get big one of my dad's friends has a fishing pond and there was this beast of a muskie or northern pike and was prob 5-6 feet long wish i woulda caught lol
Back to top Go down
Mike D
DIY Guy
Mike D

Male Posts : 1842

Humor : You can't offend me

PostSubject: Re: My Pond Update thread   My Pond Update thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 31, 2009 11:59 pm

Back to top Go down
saint_felony
The Turtle Whisperer
saint_felony

PostSubject: Re: My Pond Update thread   My Pond Update thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 01, 2009 4:49 am

Ah Mike. Enabling my lazy. Smile

What I was seeing on the wholesale list was the Tiger Muskie though which appears to be a hybrid of Esox masquinongy and Esox lucius.

Northern Pike crossed with a muskie specifically so anglers could have a fish that would put up a major fight. They should have just left the snakeheads alone then. Wink
Back to top Go down
jsorensen
jsorensen

PostSubject: Re: My Pond Update thread   My Pond Update thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 01, 2009 7:54 am

yeah i will maybe call some LFS in Wisconsin and maybe pay a visit to some cousins up there and see if i canpick up 10
Back to top Go down
saint_felony
The Turtle Whisperer
saint_felony

PostSubject: Re: My Pond Update thread   My Pond Update thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 01, 2009 8:18 am

Uh. Where exactly you gonna put 'em when they all get 5 feet. I thought your pond was only 4x7x4?
Back to top Go down
jsorensen
jsorensen

PostSubject: Re: My Pond Update thread   My Pond Update thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 01, 2009 8:29 am

when they get that big they get put in my dad's friends pond and then we fish for them
Back to top Go down
saint_felony
The Turtle Whisperer
saint_felony

PostSubject: Re: My Pond Update thread   My Pond Update thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 01, 2009 8:39 pm

Oh. I see what yer doin there. Smile

If they behave anything like the Arowanas do you're going to need to have places to hide and to make sure they all get fed. There actually seems to be a number of farms listed online in Missouri that breed muskies. Maybe there's one close to you that you could call or visit and see what they have to say.

I'm assuming the pond they'd be going in is filtered? Goldies are kinda messy, but since these are mostly carnivores, they're gonna make the water filthy pretty fast.

I know nothing about these fish or how they act, so if you do go through with it, I'd recommend getting maybe two or three to start with and see how they fair.

Also check and make sure the pond they'll end up is privately owned and the owner is cool with it. You could get in trouble if it's public land. Wink
Back to top Go down
jsorensen
jsorensen

PostSubject: Re: My Pond Update thread   My Pond Update thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 01, 2009 10:28 pm

oh yeah were they would go when they are big enough is private land 600 acres with 7 lakes i will look up some farms in Missouri but i dont remember there being any thanks a bunch SF and hopefully by the summer i will have some
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Pond Update thread   My Pond Update thread - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

My Pond Update thread
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3