Freshwater Madness
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RegisterHomeSearchLatest imagesLog inFWMadnessGallery
Similar topics

Albino walking catfish

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Silver Dollar Dude
Banned

Male Posts : 910

catfish - Albino walking catfish Empty
PostSubject: Albino walking catfish   catfish - Albino walking catfish EmptySun Feb 15, 2009 2:43 am

I may be getting one for my pond but I need to know how big these guys get and what they eat, tankmates,etc...
Back to top Go down
saint_felony
The Turtle Whisperer
saint_felony

PostSubject: Re: Albino walking catfish   catfish - Albino walking catfish EmptySun Feb 15, 2009 3:16 am

Don't bother. You can't keep 'em legally without a permit.

Walking Catfish from the family Clariidae are on the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service list of Injurious Wildlife Species. Under the Lacey Act, it is a violation of Federal law to import 'em, own 'em or whatever.

Unless they're dead.
Back to top Go down
Silver Dollar Dude
Banned

PostSubject: Re: Albino walking catfish   catfish - Albino walking catfish EmptySun Feb 15, 2009 3:31 am

saint_felony wrote:
Don't bother. You can't keep 'em legally without a permit.

Walking Catfish from the family Clariidae are on the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service list of Injurious Wildlife Species. Under the Lacey Act, it is a violation of Federal law to import 'em, own 'em or whatever.

Unless they're dead.
wow they have a permit on them. I don't know if its a walking catfish but the lfs is calling it a albino burmese catfish.
Back to top Go down
saint_felony
The Turtle Whisperer
saint_felony

PostSubject: Re: Albino walking catfish   catfish - Albino walking catfish EmptySun Feb 15, 2009 8:19 am

Oh yea. It's 50 CFR Part 16.13

(i) Live fish or viable eggs of walking catfish, family Clariidae.

Clarias batrachus is what's commonly called the walking catfish.

If they have a permit on them they would know they can't give 'em to anyone except state/federal agencies or other permit holders. Those federal permits are a complete pain in the balls to get and there's no way I would think they would be that stupid with theirs. Then again. I've been impressed with the stupidity of others sometimes. Smile Speaking of, are these the same 'tards that told you the RTCs were illegal?

Clarias batrachus are invasively native in your state, maybe you could go catch one. Wink

As for Burmese catfish, Wyite may know something I don't but the only one I'm aware of is one I've seen in the kid's catfish book called the Burmese Giant Cannon - (Hemisilurus something. I think, too lazy to go find the book right now) But I also think that's a UK common name too.

Try and get some pics perhaps?
Back to top Go down
Mike D
DIY Guy
Mike D

Male Posts : 1842

Humor : You can't offend me

PostSubject: Re: Albino walking catfish   catfish - Albino walking catfish EmptySun Feb 15, 2009 9:58 am

Not to hijack but can you get a permit to have asian arowanas? Cuz if so where can I get one?
Back to top Go down
saint_felony
The Turtle Whisperer
saint_felony

PostSubject: Re: Albino walking catfish   catfish - Albino walking catfish EmptySun Feb 15, 2009 3:13 pm

Completely different type of permit, and even more tough to get. It be easier to get one shipped to Canada and drive it back here. Wink

I'm heading out now, but I'll get you the contact number for your local permit office, since I have no ideas the rules for Maine, but be expected at the bare minimum to have the facilities and knowledge to be able to breed em. That was near one of the first questions I got hit with with the torts here.

Also, since they're to the best of my knowledge not CB in the US you'd need an importer license to boot.

Last edited by saint_felony on Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Silver Dollar Dude
Banned

PostSubject: Re: Albino walking catfish   catfish - Albino walking catfish EmptySun Feb 15, 2009 3:17 pm

Well I went to the lfs and it turns out not to be a albino walking catfish. I bought him but need a Id so I will post that thread soon.
Alex
Back to top Go down
Mike D
DIY Guy
Mike D

Male Posts : 1842

Humor : You can't offend me

PostSubject: Re: Albino walking catfish   catfish - Albino walking catfish EmptySun Feb 15, 2009 11:02 pm

saint_felony wrote:
Completely different type of permit, and even more tough to get. It be easier to get one shipped to Canada and drive it back here. Wink

I'm heading out now, but I'll get you the contact number for your local permit office, since I have no ideas the rules for Maine, but be expected at the bare minimum to have the facilities and knowledge to be able to breed em. That was near one of the first questions I got hit with with the torts here.

Also, since they're to the best of my knowledge not CB in the US you'd need an importer license to boot.

What ever I'd need to do to get one I'll do. Canada is only a 6hr drive Twisted Evil but I'd like to do it the legal way.
Back to top Go down
saint_felony
The Turtle Whisperer
saint_felony

PostSubject: Re: Albino walking catfish   catfish - Albino walking catfish EmptySun Feb 15, 2009 11:40 pm

WTF Biggie. I thought you were trying to cut back and be better.

I sure hope, that it's really not a Clarias batrachus and that the store was just full of shit. Besides killing the thing, there could be serious legal ramifications for intentionally purchasing.

Not only did you get something insane. You're posting publicly on the internet that you just bought a federally banned species? Oy.
Back to top Go down
Silver Dollar Dude
Banned

PostSubject: Re: Albino walking catfish   catfish - Albino walking catfish EmptyMon Feb 16, 2009 12:09 am

saint_felony wrote:
WTF Biggie. I thought you were trying to cut back and be better.

I sure hope, that it's really not a Clarias batrachus and that the store was just full of shit. Besides killing the thing, there could be serious legal ramifications for intentionally purchasing.

Not only did you get something insane. You're posting publicly on the internet that you just bought a federally banned species? Oy.
It wasn't a walking cat. Thank god. I wouldn't have bought it if it was a walking catfish.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Albino walking catfish   catfish - Albino walking catfish Empty

Back to top Go down

Albino walking catfish
Page 1 of 1