Freshwater Madness
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RegisterHomeSearchLatest imagesLog inFWMadnessGallery
Similar topics

Inquiring about suitability of dwarf pencil fish or dwarf rainbows in communtiy tank

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
rsnprocess
rsnprocess

Inquiring about suitability of dwarf pencil fish or dwarf rainbows in communtiy tank Empty
PostSubject: Inquiring about suitability of dwarf pencil fish or dwarf rainbows in communtiy tank   Inquiring about suitability of dwarf pencil fish or dwarf rainbows in communtiy tank EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 10:11 am

I'm still trying to decide on another shoal of fish for my 29 gallon tank.
So far I have:
2 honey gourami
5 neons
3 x-ray pristella
1 hillstream loach (I have a great filter with good current, Fluval C4)

I read that the dwarf neon rainbow fish are too active for my setup and can be aggressive?

I like what I'm reading about the dwarf pencilfish. Anyone have them with tetras?

I now harlequin rasbora would work great. I was just looking for some different.

I had decided on celestial pearl danios, but they are tiny and I read that they are very shy and I am concerned about that. I don't want fish that hide much of the time. My x-rays are very fast feeders. My neons are getting better about competing for food.

Back to top Go down
Wyomingite
Fish Wrangler
Wyomingite

Male Posts : 1781

Humor : "I drank what?" - Socrates
Favorite Fish : I won't choose and ya can't make me!

Inquiring about suitability of dwarf pencil fish or dwarf rainbows in communtiy tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inquiring about suitability of dwarf pencil fish or dwarf rainbows in communtiy tank   Inquiring about suitability of dwarf pencil fish or dwarf rainbows in communtiy tank EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 3:53 pm

I'd shy away from the celestial pearls with the pristellas, pristellas are a bit too aggressive for them. I have pristellas in with my glowlight and gold tetras, and even though the glowlights and golds are only slightly smaller, the pristellas tend to nip at 'em, especially the large female pristella. Harlequin rasboras would be fine, either species that is regularly sold under that name, Trigonostigma heteromorpha or Trigonostigma espei. The latter is often misidentified and sold as the harlequin rasbora, but IME is just as hardy.

I'm not sure I'd totally agree the dwarf rainbows are too active, myself. A lot of combinations can often be made to work well without ill-effects to any fish, simply by rearranging the decor or adding decor. The gouramis are the only fish that may be affected by the activity of the rainbows, as neons usually stay closer to the bottom. If you do decide on rainbows, I'd put more vegetation around the back and sides of the tank for added cover for the gouramis. This will provide additional cover for the gouramis so they feel comfortable but still leaves plenty of swimming room in the middle for the rainbows.

Not sure on the dwarf pencils. Generally, pencils tend to be slow relative to other tetras. IME they tend to be fairly active and not-so-shy in schools. I've kept 'em with cardinal, neon, black neon, gold and glowlight tetras, but have never tried with pristellas. Myself, I would try it in the set-up yer proposing, but I have spare tanks I can fall back on if the combination goes south. Personally, I'd think the dwarf pencils would be okay.

Several other options may be penguin tetras, glowlight danios (Danio choprai, not the bright neon or glolight zebra danios), regular pearl danios, or cherry barbs.

WYite
Back to top Go down
rsnprocess
rsnprocess

PostSubject: Re: Inquiring about suitability of dwarf pencil fish or dwarf rainbows in communtiy tank   Inquiring about suitability of dwarf pencil fish or dwarf rainbows in communtiy tank EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 9:13 pm

Thanks for all the good information. The fish store guys told me the cherry barbs were will a bit aggressive.
Back to top Go down
Wyomingite
Fish Wrangler
Wyomingite

PostSubject: Re: Inquiring about suitability of dwarf pencil fish or dwarf rainbows in communtiy tank   Inquiring about suitability of dwarf pencil fish or dwarf rainbows in communtiy tank EmptySat Feb 12, 2011 2:28 am

Cherry barbs aggressive? IME, less so than the pristellas you already have. Interesting. Cherry barbs in my tanks have always acted more like tetras than barbs. I've kept them with a variety of tetras, rasboras, cory cats, small peaceful cichlids, livebearers, gouramis, etc. In other words, typical commmunity set-ups. I'm surprised anyone would refer to them as "aggressive".

WYite
Back to top Go down
rsnprocess
rsnprocess

PostSubject: Re: Inquiring about suitability of dwarf pencil fish or dwarf rainbows in communtiy tank   Inquiring about suitability of dwarf pencil fish or dwarf rainbows in communtiy tank EmptySat Feb 12, 2011 6:59 am

Perhaps it's because of the word barb. I think they are so pretty; so I'll check into that.
I'll have to look up how big they get.

I've never seen the x-ray albino pristella nip anyone at least. But they are just so eager, fearless, and eat everything as fast as they can. Would you say the same about the cherry barbs?

Back to top Go down
Wyomingite
Fish Wrangler
Wyomingite

PostSubject: Re: Inquiring about suitability of dwarf pencil fish or dwarf rainbows in communtiy tank   Inquiring about suitability of dwarf pencil fish or dwarf rainbows in communtiy tank EmptySat Feb 12, 2011 4:31 pm

Pretty much. A little more shy, perhaps, if kept singly or as a pair. I'd look at getting at least 5. That would round out yer tank perfectly, and would be a nice contrast to the neons and pristellas color-wise.

WYite
Back to top Go down
rsnprocess
rsnprocess

PostSubject: Re: Inquiring about suitability of dwarf pencil fish or dwarf rainbows in communtiy tank   Inquiring about suitability of dwarf pencil fish or dwarf rainbows in communtiy tank EmptySat Feb 12, 2011 7:35 pm

So thanks, I'll try to find out who in my area might have or can order some pencilfish and see how expensive they are; same for the dwarf rainbow. I like to see both of them live before making a decision. If either one of those is too expensive or can't get them, what do you think of the espei rasbora, the ones that are supposed to be a little smaller and more intense in colors.

By the way Wyoming is a great state; I use to visit a brother there a lot. Been to Tetons, Yellowstone several times. Fished on Green River Lake and rafted the Snake. God's country!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Inquiring about suitability of dwarf pencil fish or dwarf rainbows in communtiy tank   Inquiring about suitability of dwarf pencil fish or dwarf rainbows in communtiy tank Empty

Back to top Go down

Inquiring about suitability of dwarf pencil fish or dwarf rainbows in communtiy tank
Page 1 of 1