Freshwater Madness
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RegisterHomeSearchLatest imagesLog inFWMadnessGallery
Similar topics

questions about my bamboo shrimp

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
rsnprocess
rsnprocess

questions about my bamboo shrimp Empty
PostSubject: questions about my bamboo shrimp   questions about my bamboo shrimp EmptyMon Feb 21, 2011 10:56 am

I have my bamboo shrimp in a holding tank (2.5 gallon) because my 2 little shell dwelling cichlids were picking on him. I didn't know that they were multies (they were sold to me by mistake) or I wouldn't have had them together. I want to put him into my 29 gallon that is 8 weeks old and I believe is now fully cycled. He has always mainly come out at night to feed even now in the mini tank. If he is out like early in the morning, when we enter the room and turn on the lights he usually heads for cover. He does this whether he's in post molting state or not.

In the 29 he'll be joining:
7 neons
3 albino x-ray Pristella Tetra
2 Honey Gourami (not dwarf, but the smallest, most peaceful of the gourami)
3 platies
1 Hillstream Loach
1 male endler (very small; bought him because he had come into this fish store by mistake with some guppies and was really unique in coloring; he's doing great, might move him later)

I have a fluval C4 filter in this tank which is way more than I need, but I wanted to make sure I had great filtration. I'm new to aquariums, so I'm sure I do over feed. My little pristella get things so fast!! Perhaps they need another tanks with other fast, eager feeders.

I don't quite understand about "spot"feeding the bamboo shrimp. If I did any special food for him, I don't know how I'd do it. In the other tanks, I've squirted crushed algae wafer or bottom feeder pellet into his "cave" area during the day. If I squirted anything into the tank near him while he's filter feeding at night, wouldn't it just get sucked up by the filter intake, since he'll be near it?

Read more: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-shrimp/questions-about-feeding-my-bamboo-shrimp-63311/#ixzz1EbbWNm6X
Back to top Go down
saint_felony
The Turtle Whisperer
saint_felony

questions about my bamboo shrimp Empty
PostSubject: Re: questions about my bamboo shrimp   questions about my bamboo shrimp EmptyFri Feb 25, 2011 2:30 am

I totally missed this before.

The site won't let me see the article you linked to since I'm not a member there.

I don't know if the bamboo shrimp have any special food requirements, but I have both crayfish and ghost shrimp. All I do for them is to toss in some sinking food or a bit extra if there's also fish in the tank. It seems like ghost shrimp will eat *anything* and the crayfish, while not as bad seem to be in about the same boat.

I have some sort of sinking crumbles, I think they were meant for goldfish maybe, that they all seem to do just fine on.
Back to top Go down

questions about my bamboo shrimp
Page 1 of 1