Freshwater Madness
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RegisterHomeSearchLatest imagesLog inFWMadnessGallery
Similar topics

Good ol' Fashioned Striped Angels...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Wyomingite
Fish Wrangler
Wyomingite

Male Posts : 1781

Humor : "I drank what?" - Socrates
Favorite Fish : I won't choose and ya can't make me!

Good ol' Fashioned Striped Angels...  Empty
PostSubject: Good ol' Fashioned Striped Angels...    Good ol' Fashioned Striped Angels...  EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 1:55 am

are a PITA to find these days. Used to be able to find them all the time.

I've always liked the striped wild phenotype better than all the fancy strains. I did see one that was half striped in a tank of fancy angels the other day. I'm wonderin' how frequently they show up in other parts of the country?

WYite
Back to top Go down
dwarf cichlids in Tucson
dwarf cichlids in Tucson

Favorite Fish : Apitogramas as well as South American Dwarf cichlids cory cats and tetras discus and angelfish

PostSubject: Re: Good ol' Fashioned Striped Angels...    Good ol' Fashioned Striped Angels...  EmptyWed Mar 23, 2011 2:48 pm

One of the stores here in Tucson have them right now I am working on seting up a tank just for angelfsih. I like the wild looking ones as well. I also found some silver dollars the other day I cant get them untill the new tank is ready most all my tanks have live plants. I have always liked what I call old school fish they are getting hard to find most people want parrot cichlids they are UGLY.
Back to top Go down
saint_felony
The Turtle Whisperer
saint_felony

PostSubject: Re: Good ol' Fashioned Striped Angels...    Good ol' Fashioned Striped Angels...  EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 11:54 pm

Parrotfish have kinda died out around here. Outside of the one fish store in a heavily Asian area the only other place that has them now and again is Petsmart.

As for striped Angels, the two non-chain fish stores around here usually have the Altum ones, but if I'm remembering correctly aren't they like cousins to angelfish? Otherwise it's usually the blue ones around here.

I'd like to find some of the orange and white ones, but I think they may be even harder to come by, at least around here than the striped ones are.
Back to top Go down
Wyomingite
Fish Wrangler
Wyomingite

Male Posts : 1781

Humor : "I drank what?" - Socrates
Favorite Fish : I won't choose and ya can't make me!

PostSubject: Re: Good ol' Fashioned Striped Angels...    Good ol' Fashioned Striped Angels...  EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 12:20 am

Altums are a different species, Pterophyllum altum versus P. scalare.

Orange and white ones? Is that a bred strain? Not seen those.

A coworker picked up some P. leopoldi online. I haven't gotten over to check them out, but he says they mix in perfectly with his discus.

WYite
Back to top Go down
saint_felony
The Turtle Whisperer
saint_felony

PostSubject: Re: Good ol' Fashioned Striped Angels...    Good ol' Fashioned Striped Angels...  EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 1:01 pm

They sometimes are called koi angelfish, and I haven't done any research on them but I believe they've been bred specifically to get the orange/white with occasional black spots markings.

Back to top Go down
dirtydawg10
Global Moderator
dirtydawg10

Male Posts : 3098

Favorite Fish : Severum

PostSubject: Re: Good ol' Fashioned Striped Angels...    Good ol' Fashioned Striped Angels...  EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 11:12 am

I've only really seen the altums around here. What about these?

http://liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+879+2517&pcatid=2517
Back to top Go down
dwarf cichlids in Tucson
dwarf cichlids in Tucson

Favorite Fish : Apitogramas as well as South American Dwarf cichlids cory cats and tetras discus and angelfish

PostSubject: Re: Good ol' Fashioned Striped Angels...    Good ol' Fashioned Striped Angels...  EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 3:05 pm

altums are hard to find you can find them once and a while on Aquabid I have not seen them for a while. I caught some in South America last year but they did not ship well I lost them less than a week after I got home. I met a guy on that trip that lives in Miama he had some tank raised altums he was going to send me some but never did I will try to call him today and pass the informaiton along.
Back to top Go down
WhiteGloveAquatics
WhiteGloveAquatics

Male Posts : 134

Humor : raunchy and mean
Favorite Fish : Discus,Rams,Angels,Dwarf cichlids,tetras oh and flathead catfish

PostSubject: Re: Good ol' Fashioned Striped Angels...    Good ol' Fashioned Striped Angels...  EmptySat Apr 02, 2011 4:49 pm

Kois are a strain not a species, they are still p. scalares.

I used to breed the tri bar angels, I recently lost the breeding pair to columnaris(no computer while ive been away from the sites and no info at hand to treat before it was too late lost 10 of 13 of my breeding angels)

I know angelfish usa and angels plus has wilds as well as rfidiscus.com

These are the top 3 I trust for quality angels.
I got a swap coming up on the 27th, if I see the vendor list early ill contact a few and see what strains they are selling.

I am going to breed a platinum phillipine blue with a pinoy leopard, if the PPB doesnt work out I got a PB"ghost" to toss in to see what happens. I for one will be breeding wild discus for F1 offspring around the mid to end of summer again(thanks IRS)
Back to top Go down
saint_felony
The Turtle Whisperer
saint_felony

PostSubject: Re: Good ol' Fashioned Striped Angels...    Good ol' Fashioned Striped Angels...  EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 10:14 pm

Cool. If you come across any reasonably priced koi ones I'd be interested. I'm going to have a free 55g when I move the not so small orfe in with the actual koi and asian boxies.
Back to top Go down
WhiteGloveAquatics
WhiteGloveAquatics

Favorite Fish : Discus,Rams,Angels,Dwarf cichlids,tetras oh and flathead catfish

PostSubject: Re: Good ol' Fashioned Striped Angels...    Good ol' Fashioned Striped Angels...  EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 7:46 am

Good ol' Fashioned Striped Angels...  23k9b4i
this is a panda koi, as there are many variations of the koi strain.
Me personally, I dislike them but this one came with two others that were worth breeding with wilds.
Back to top Go down
saint_felony
The Turtle Whisperer
saint_felony

PostSubject: Re: Good ol' Fashioned Striped Angels...    Good ol' Fashioned Striped Angels...  EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 2:14 pm

Yea, those are exactly the ones I want to get. Where did you pick him up from? He's spiffy.

Back to top Go down
WhiteGloveAquatics
WhiteGloveAquatics

PostSubject: Re: Good ol' Fashioned Striped Angels...    Good ol' Fashioned Striped Angels...  EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 5:04 pm

came with a pinoy leopard and a gold pearlscale I got a year back. this thing is kicking hard, survived alot of crap and is still fat and happy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Good ol' Fashioned Striped Angels...    Good ol' Fashioned Striped Angels...  Empty

Back to top Go down

Good ol' Fashioned Striped Angels...
Page 1 of 1