Freshwater Madness
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RegisterHomeSearchLatest imagesLog inFWMadnessGallery
Similar topics

Questions about snail jello

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Black eyed Suzie
Black eyed Suzie

Female Posts : 75

Humor : I make bad jokes

Questions about snail jello Empty
PostSubject: Questions about snail jello   Questions about snail jello EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 9:12 pm

I made snail jello for the first time last week. This has been very exciting for everyone involved. My first question is, how much and how often should I feed him?

My second question, or concern, is that my black moor is going crazy about it. If I put enough in for the snail, will the fish eat themselves to death??

Also, I've been reading different threads about how messy snail jello can be. I made mine using 3 organic gelatin sheets soaked in cold water, then dissolved in slightly warm baby food. After adding crushed calcium pills, fish food, skinned peas and bloodworms, I popped it in the fridge. In about 30 minutes it was hard enough to cut into cubes. The sheets make it hard enough to not dissolve in the water, yet soft enough for him to suck it up in no time.

Anyway, I appreciate any info you can offer!
Back to top Go down
Redneck Woman
Invert Junkie
Redneck Woman

Female Posts : 784

Favorite Fish : angels,but kribs are a very close second

PostSubject: Re: Questions about snail jello   Questions about snail jello EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 10:50 am

You could try putting it in during lights out. Maybe you will get lucky and he wont see you drop it. I have to do this also. I try to feed at least twice a week or whenever there are no visable signs of the jello. It does get messy and you may have to be sure to stay on top of water changes but it is well worth having beautiful shells on the snails.
You can also try using the weekend feeders for the snails. Your fish can't eat them real fast and they are full of calcium which are good for your snails. I have also heard of people using peices of cuttle bone(for birds) you have to weigh it down but it is full of calcium also.
Back to top Go down
Black eyed Suzie
Black eyed Suzie

PostSubject: Re: Questions about snail jello   Questions about snail jello EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 6:42 pm

I have cuttlebone, but he doesn't seem the least bit interested in it. It does help with the pH, though. The weekend feeders that I've looked at have slight amounts of copper and zinc. Can that possibly hurt him?

I'm contemplating getting another snail. How likely are they to mate (50% or is it considerably less)? And can it get out of control?
Back to top Go down
Redneck Woman
Invert Junkie
Redneck Woman

PostSubject: Re: Questions about snail jello   Questions about snail jello EmptySun Oct 30, 2011 6:24 pm

I guess I should have asked what kind of snail you have.
Do you know the sex of your snail? You would have to make sure you have the opposite sex. I never had a problem with mine breeding but at one time I had over fifty.
If you have a apple snail here is a link to a great website. I learned alot from it.
http://applesnail.net/
The feeders never hurt any of my snails.
Back to top Go down
Black eyed Suzie
Black eyed Suzie

PostSubject: Re: Questions about snail jello   Questions about snail jello EmptySun Oct 30, 2011 10:16 pm

I do have an apple snail, and have found that site very helpful. I have not, however, been able to tell which sex it is. Maybe I'm missing something, but it doesn't seem all that clear cut. Do you have any trick to checking?

If not, I may just get another and see what happens.
Back to top Go down
Redneck Woman
Invert Junkie
Redneck Woman

PostSubject: Re: Questions about snail jello   Questions about snail jello EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 9:35 pm

I can't tell either.lol I have tried, but I haven't had any luck. You could get three more, that way you increase your chances of getting opposite sex. That is if your tank is big enough. I have been told you need two gallons of water per snail.
Make sure you let us know what happens. Wink
Back to top Go down
Black eyed Suzie
Black eyed Suzie

PostSubject: Re: Questions about snail jello   Questions about snail jello EmptyFri Nov 04, 2011 9:48 am

Will do!
Back to top Go down
saint_felony
The Turtle Whisperer
saint_felony

PostSubject: Re: Questions about snail jello   Questions about snail jello EmptyFri Nov 04, 2011 2:02 pm

I don't know what the right gallons per snail rate is, but I'd think that would depend on the snail. I have two Pomacea canaliculata and they're ginormus and messy.

As for food, there's a cuttle bone in there, and I just toss in the ends of veggies from either feeding the box turtles or dinners. Carrots and romaine nubs are very popular.
Back to top Go down
Black eyed Suzie
Black eyed Suzie

PostSubject: Re: Questions about snail jello   Questions about snail jello EmptyFri Nov 04, 2011 5:50 pm

Do you cook the carrots a bit first or just throw them in?
Back to top Go down
saint_felony
The Turtle Whisperer
saint_felony

PostSubject: Re: Questions about snail jello   Questions about snail jello EmptySat Nov 05, 2011 3:59 pm

I have two magnets that are entirely coated in plastic and I'll use them to hold down any vegies. Not that it matters all that much. These guys are the snail equivalent of goats.
Back to top Go down
Black eyed Suzie
Black eyed Suzie

PostSubject: Re: Questions about snail jello   Questions about snail jello EmptySat Nov 05, 2011 8:45 pm

lol
Back to top Go down
Black eyed Suzie
Black eyed Suzie

PostSubject: Re: Questions about snail jello   Questions about snail jello EmptyWed Nov 23, 2011 9:26 pm

I decided I didn't have the room to buy more than one other snail, unless i set up another tank. So I only bought one. Nothing happened, so I figured same sex --until this morning. Because of troubles with the fish, I had to set up a new tank for the snails. Since they've been alone in there, they are all over each other. I'm 95% sure that the original is male. He keeps trying, but it doesn't look like she's letting him in. Are they picky with their mates?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Questions about snail jello   Questions about snail jello Empty

Back to top Go down

Questions about snail jello
Page 1 of 1