Freshwater Madness
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RegisterHomeSearchLatest imagesLog inFWMadnessGallery
Similar topics

Post your snail jello recipes here

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
ladyblues1965
ladyblues1965

Female Posts : 9

Post your snail jello recipes here Empty
PostSubject: Re: Post your snail jello recipes here   Post your snail jello recipes here EmptySat Nov 29, 2008 7:15 am

I too feed lots of vegies and have cuttlebone pieces in all my snails tanks. Tho I dont see them munching on the cuttlebones. But wow do they eat the vegies. I usually buy them a zuccinnii ,I put a half inch slice in each tank and it is gone befor morning. after reading this list I will be feedidng them more types of vegies.
I also thro in a cacium tablet monthly .
Mike D you can very easily make snail jello. there are lots of veriations of the recipe

Here are some I copied and pasted they are not my recipes tho I have made the snail jello but used fresh vegies in place of the baby food and fresh shrimp and fish in place of the fish food.

Snail Jello
1 can of baby food (4-6 oz)
1 tsp+ fish food (may be omitted)
Calcium/vitamin supplements (I use 1tsp Jurassi-reptical powder w/out phosphorus)
1 packet (= 1 tablespoon) unflavored gelatin

You can select any fish food and any flavor of baby food that you like. Try to find baby foods with at least 4% calcium (vegetable medley has a higher %), either fruit or vegetable types are find. This is a good way to feed fish foods that are good for snails but don't sink, like freeze-dried shrimp, or fish foods that have a strong smell when cooked in other recipes. You can mix in much more than a teaspoon of fish food, and including the ingredients of a "snail trail mix" instead of a single fish food would make this snail treat more nutritionally complete.

Instructions

Open the baby food and pour it into a small bowl. Heat the baby food in the microwave for 60 seconds (caution, it will be very hot).

Stir in the unflavored gelatin (add it slowly to avoid unsightly clumps of gelatin; don't use a blender or you risk creating air bubbles that will make it float) crushing any lumps with the back of a spoon.

Add calcium supplements and vitamins if you have/want them. Stir thoroughly.

Pour this mixture into a dish with a flat bottom (tupperware-type containers work well; if you are doubling or tripling this recipe, you might consider a pie pan).* Fold in your fish food(s) if you are adding any.

Refrigerate for several hours, then return and cut into cubes.

One jar of baby food yields a good handful of snail treats. Keep them refrigerated until serving. These sink and hold up pretty well in the tank, but as with any food, large uneaten portions should be removed after the snails have finished. These can be frozen for up to a month.

*You can use an ice cube tray to create big treats for a tank full of snails. No slicing is needed in this case.

Calcium Blocks for Picky Snails
Another gelatin/calcium recipe.

Ingredients:
1 tsp unflavored gelatin
5-10 calcium pills, crushed
1 tbsp honey
(optional) other vitamins, low-sodium seaweed powder, etc

-Dump gelatin into a small bowl. Boil 1 cup of water, and use as little of it as possible to dissolve the gelatin ( I used 3 tablespoons or so).

-Let it cool for a few minutes, then mix in the honey, calcium and optional ingredients. This step is kind of tricky- you want a thick paste, but without any air bubbles in it. Try kneading it instead of stirring.

-Flatten into a circle about ¼ of an inch thick. Put it on a sheet of waxed paper, and put it in refrigerator for a few hours. Once it is set, slice into thin chunks and place the chunks (not touching one another) onto a piece of waxed paper.

-Put them into a warm, dry room. If you have a fan handy, you might as well point it at them (if not, don’t worry about it). Leave overnight. By the next morning, they should be completely dry. When these blocks are done, they’re hard as a rock, and sink like one too. You could probably use a dehydrator, if you have one, but I found that they dried very quickly without one.

Tips:
-Don’t make these when it’s humid out. They won’t dry.

-Cutting it into small chunks is vital. If you don’t, it either won’t dry at all, or it’ll dry into an unbreakable shell of calcium with a gooey center.

-I chose to use honey in this recipe because the snails seem to love anything sugary (thus attracting a picky, injured snail), and honey has been shown to have antibacterial properties, so I figured that might help to postpone the decomposition process while they’re drying out. Other sweeteners or fruit purees would probably work, though.

Biscuits:
In a food processor:
big handful of good quality dog bones that are not full of preservatives
handful of Science Diet Catfood (or any premium brand)
one ripe banana
cup of fresh spinach leaves
handful of chopped carrots
2-3 eggs with shells
2 scoops of powdered calcium

Grind up the bones and cat food until powdered, add other ingredients. Make a thick batter. Drop by spoonfuls onto greased cookie sheets, flatten as low as they will go with fork (spray fork first with Pam so batter doesn't stick)
Bake at 250 degrees until hardened. Remove from sheet and cool on racks, store in freezer.
You can add fish food, freeze dried shrimp or bloodworms, etc to this. (Warning, any fish foods will make your kitchen STINK while cooking.

another cookie recipe:
Blend in a food processor:
1 cup dried cat food
handful of brown rice
handful of oatmeal
1 clove garlic
6 calcium pills
3 eggshells
handful of assorted fish flakes, pellets and wafers

Boil for about 30 minutes or until soft:
2 carrots (and greens) chopped
5 leafs romaine
13 dandelion leafs
handful green beans

Drain and mash the veggies and mix with the dry foods. Then you can add:
1 banana mashed
1 peach mashed
1 pear mashed
1 small jar baby food
mixe this all together, and spread it out on a baking sheet, then roll it flat with a roller. the oven was set to just below 150 degrees - the lowest my oven could handle. It took pretty much the whole day to dry. This is another stinky recipe.
Substitutions can be made for veggies or fruits.

Another Jello Recipe
I got the Gerber 2nd stage Garden Vegetables and another of Pears. It came in little plastic boxes vs bottles.

I used one plus the box filled with water. I stir them together then nuke for one minute on high. I add one packet of Knox gelatin. (add slowly to prevent clumping). Once that is in, you can add additional fish food like flakes, spirulina, freeze dried bloodworms, etc. Then do the same as with the other jello recipes...spread thin and allow to set in the fridge, cut into pieces and freeze.

Long-Lasting Fruit Snacks
Ingredients:
1 jar baby food
1/2 packet unflavored gelatin (use slightly more for a super chewy, jerky-like texture, or slightly less for a mushier texture)
Dried fruit and vegetable pieces
(optional) calcium, vitamins, low-sodium seaweed powder, etc

-Heat baby food in small bowl in microwave for 30-60 seconds (until it’s boiling or almost boiling).

-Stir in gelatin and vitamins. Do this slowly, to avoid creating air bubbles, which will make the snacks float.

-Mix in fruit/veggie pieces (again, do this slowly).

-Bake for 10 minutes at 350*F. Reduce heat to lowest possible setting (on my oven, that’s 150*F) and bake for another couple of hours. They should be “done” after 10 minutes, but the longer you bake them, the harder they get. If you have a dehydrator, you can probably use that instead of the oven.

-Freeze until ready to use.

Tips:
-These will not gel without being baked or dehydrated. If you don’t want to bake them, try using more gelatin.

-Adding 2 tbsp flour, baby cereal or other dry ingredients will make these more crunchy than chewy.

- I try to include a mix of soft fruits/veggies (like cucumbers, which soften quickly in the water) and hard ones (like carrots, which take days to decompose). That way, by the time the snails are done with the gel portion, the softest stuff is ready to eat. And when they’re done with that, the harder stuff is ready.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigredandthesoulbenders.com
Mike D
DIY Guy
Mike D

Male Posts : 1842

Humor : You can't offend me

PostSubject: Post your snail jello recipes here   Post your snail jello recipes here EmptyFri Apr 03, 2009 3:29 pm

Like the title says post your snail jello recipes here.

Whipped up a batch of snail jello and I thought I'd share it with everyone.

What you will need
Spinach
Frozen Broccoli thawed
Summer Squash
cucumber
knox gelatine
calcium powder or pill form
Food processor
9x13 baking pan.

Cut up the cucumber, squash and broccoli and place into the processor.
Add the spinach and calcium. If using pill form cruch up with a Mortar and Pestle.
puree the veggies and add 1/2 to 1 cup of water, make sure you dont turn it into a soup.
Pour puree into a mixing bowl and mix in 4 packets gelatine. Heat 3 to 6 cups of water (depending on consistency of the pure) and mix into the puree. Stir until the gelatine is dissolved (ruffly 5 min). Pour mixture into the baking pan and refrigerate until the gelatine sets (about 3 hours). Then cut and serve.

You can always sub out the veggies for baby food but I think thats cheating What a Face
Back to top Go down
Redneck Woman
Invert Junkie
Redneck Woman

Female Posts : 784

Favorite Fish : angels,but kribs are a very close second

PostSubject: Post your snail jello recipes   Post your snail jello recipes here EmptyFri Apr 03, 2009 11:01 pm

1 can of baby food (4-6 oz) (look for high calcium foods)
1 tsp+ fish food
Calcium/vitamin supplements (I use (6) crushed calcium pills)
1 packet (= 1 tablespoon) unflavored gelatin

Heat baby food in microwave for one minute, caution it will be hot!!!!
Slowly stir in gelatin
Slowly stir in calcium supplements
Stir in fish food (I also crush up some shrimp pellots and have been known to put frozen spinach in the mix.)

Put in ice cube tray and chill until firm. Remove from tray and freeze. They will keep up to one month in the freezer.

Remember to feed snails spairingly. Remove any uneaten portions after 24 hours.

This makes about half the tray.

Sorry Mike, I don't mean to hijack your thread just thought I would help. You went through a lot of work to feed your babies. This recipe might be quicker for you. Believe me if I had the time I would be making your recipe!! Sounds great!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Redneck Woman
Invert Junkie
Redneck Woman

PostSubject: Re: Post your snail jello recipes here   Post your snail jello recipes here EmptyFri Apr 24, 2009 12:13 pm

This is not mine but it helps to buffer the ph of your tank to maintain healthy shell growth. My ph is already high out of the tap.(8.2)

You need to maintain a ph 7.0 and up for healthy shell growth.

Calcium Feeder Recipe

Ingredients:

1600 mL of plaster of paris (Dap brand from Home Depot)
800 mL of water
1 100g container of tetra color sinking goldfish granules

Tools needed:

A large plastic pitcher
A 1L measuring cup
3 ice cube trays
A stir stick

Mix the water with the plaster until completely smooth.
Add fish food and mix evenly.
Pour into the ice cube trays. Rattle to trays to remove air bubbles. Let sit in a dry place for two days. Once the trays are good and solid, twist to remove the blocks. If the blocks are crumbling or breaking, they are not dry enough. Once they are out, cure them in a dry place for five more days (or use a food dehydrator). Once cured, they can be vacuum packed for storage. Each feeder typically lasts two weeks.
Back to top Go down
Redneck Woman
Invert Junkie
Redneck Woman

PostSubject: Re: Post your snail jello recipes here   Post your snail jello recipes here EmptyFri Apr 24, 2009 12:17 pm

This list is from Applesnails.net and also Msjinkzd of Aquaria Central.
You want the foods with the higher calcium content.

This is a list of vegetables and fruits along with the amount of calcium in each 100 gram portion. They are ranked in order from the ones that contain the most calcium to the ones that contain the least. Remember when feeding these foods that the phosphorous can have an ill effect on your water quality and may cause an algae bloom if the levels of phosphorous become too high.

Vegetables Calcium per 100 gram serving:
Dill Weed 208 mg
Turnip Greens 190 mg
Collards 145 mg
Parsley 138 mg
Kale 135 mg
Watercress 120 mg
Beet Greens 119 mg
Chinese Cabbage 105 mg
Mustard Greens 103 mg
Chicory Greens 100 mg
Spinach 99 mg
Okra 81 mg
Leaf Lettuce 68 mg
Cilantro 67 mg
Purslane 65 mg
Endive 52 mg
Swiss Chard 51 mg
Broccoli 48 mg
Cabbage 47 mg
Rutabaga 47 mg
Brussel Sprouts 42 mg
Celery 40 mg
Sweet Potato Leaves 37 mg
Green Beans 37 mg
Romaine Lettuce 36 mg
Parsnips 36 mg
Head Lettuce 32 mg
Alfalfa Sprouts 32 mg
Squash (winter, all varieties) 31 mg
Turnip 30 mg
Carrots 27 mg
Kohlrabi 24 mg
Sweet Potato 22 mg
Cauliflower 22 mg
Asparagus 21 mg
Pumpkin 21 mg
Squash (summer, all varieties) 20 mg
Beets 16 mg
Cucumber (with skin) 14 mg
Red and Green Peppers 9 mg
Tomato 5 mg
White Corn 2 mg

Fruits Calcium per 100 gram Serving:
Seedless Raisins 49 mg
Orange 40 mg
Lime 33 mg
Blackberries 32 mg
Kiwi 26 mg
Lemon (no peel) 26 mg
Papaya 24 mg
Raspberries 22 mg
Sweet Cherries 15 mg
Strawberries 14 mg
Tangerine 14 mg
Apricots 14 mg
Grapefruit, White 12 mg
Grapefruit, Red & Pink 11 mg
Pear 11 mg
Cantaloupe 11 mg
Grapes 11 mg
Mango 10 mg
Watermelon 8 mg
Persimmon, Japanese 8 mg
Pineapple 7 mg
Apple (with skin) 7 mg
Cranberries 7 mg
Banana 6 mg
Honeydew Melon 6 mg
Blueberries 6 mg
Casaba Melon 5 mg
Nectarine 5 mg
Peach 5 mg
Plum 4 mg
Calcium:Phosphorus Ratio -- Vegetables

14.5:1 -- Collards
7.5:1 -- Spinach, Mustard
4.5:1 -- Turnip Greens
4.3:1 -- Lambsquarters
3.2:1 -- Dill Weed
3.0:1 -- Beet Greens
2.8:1 -- Dandelion Greens
2.8:1 -- Chinese Cabbage (pak-choi)
2.7:1 -- Lettuce, LooseLeaf
2.4:1 -- Mustard Greens
2.4:1 -- Parsley
2.4:1 -- Kale
2.1:1 -- Chicory Greens
2.0:1 -- Spinach
2.0:1 -- Watercress
2.0:1 -- Cabbage
1.9:1 -- Endive
1.6:1 -- Celery
1.5:1 -- Purslane
1.4:1 -- Cilantro
1.4:1 -- Lettuce, Butterhead (Boston, Bibb)
1.3:1 -- Okra
1.1:1 -- Swiss Chard
1.1:1 -- Turnip
1.1:1 -- Chard, Swiss
1.0:1 -- Squash (winter, all varieties)
1.0:1 -- Green Beans
0.8:1 -- Lettuce, Romaine
0.8:1 -- Sweet Potato
0.8:1 -- Rutabaga
0.7:1 -- Broccoli
0.7:1 -- Cucumber (with skin)
0.6:1 -- Carrots
0.6:1 -- Squash (summer, all varieties)
0.6:1 -- Carrots, Baby
0.6:1 -- Brussels Sprouts
0.5:1 -- Cauliflower
0.5:1 -- Kohlrabi
0.5:1 -- Pumpkin
0.5:1 -- Alfalfa Sprouts
0.5:1 -- Parsnips
0.5:1 -- Peppers,Green
0.5:1 -- Peppers,Red
0.4:1 -- Sweet Potato Leaves
0.4:1 -- Beets
0.4:1 -- Asparagus
0.2:1 -- Tomato
.02:1 -- Corn, White

Calcium:Phosphorus Ratio -- Fruits

4.8:1 -- Papaya
2.9:1 -- Orange
1.8:1 -- Lime
1.8:1 -- Raspberries
1.6:1 -- Lemon (no peel)
1.5:1 -- Blackberries
1.5:1 -- Grapefruit, White
1.2:1 -- Grapefruit, Pink and Red
1.2:1 -- Tangerine
1.0:1 -- Pineapple
1.0:1 -- Pear
1.0:1 -- Apple (with Skin)
0.9:1 -- Mango
0.9:1 -- Watermelon
0.8:1 -- Cherries, Sweet
0.8:1 -- Grapes
0.8:1 -- Cranberries
0.7:1 -- Casaba Melon
0.7:1 -- Apricots
0.7:1 -- Kiwi
0.7:1 -- Strawberries
0.6:1 -- Cantaloupe
0.6:1 -- Honeydew Melon
0.6:1 -- Blueberries
0.5:1 -- Persimmon, Japanese
0.5:1 -- Raisins, Seedless
0.4:1 -- Peach
0.4:1 -- Plum
0.3:1 -- Nectarine
0.3:1 -- Banana
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Post your snail jello recipes here   Post your snail jello recipes here Empty

Back to top Go down

Post your snail jello recipes here
Page 1 of 1