Freshwater Madness
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RegisterHomeSearchLatest imagesLog inFWMadnessGallery
Similar topics

Breeding Project.

Go down 
+4
Mike D
Mostlycichlids
Wyomingite
saint_felony
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
dirtydawg10
Global Moderator
dirtydawg10

Male Posts : 3098

Favorite Fish : Severum

Breeding Project. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Project.   Breeding Project. - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 2:56 pm

Silver Dollar dude wrote:
What type of fish are you getting??

Ummmm...

Quote :
I now have 5 Arowana, and instead of the 4 Chinese Suckers, 6.
Back to top Go down
saint_felony
The Turtle Whisperer
saint_felony

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Project.   Breeding Project. - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 3:51 pm

Observant. We got that. Wink

I won't get a chance to do pictures till this weekend, but I'll do a bunch up.
Back to top Go down
saint_felony
The Turtle Whisperer
saint_felony

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Project.   Breeding Project. - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 02, 2009 5:57 am

Update:

Even at an young age, the Aro's are complete asses to each other. How they survive in the wild is a mystery to me.

I have one, and they're all the same size, trying to be tank boss. It's beaten the hell out of one of the others, where it might not survive, and keeps chasing another one into a corner. The fourth is in hiding somewhere, but I'm pretty sure isn't dead since it's not stuck to the filter intake. Wink They could care less about the suckers though. None of the Aros have any interest at all in the sucker fish.

From what I had been reading, it seemed safe to keep a group of them together after the egg sac had vanished. This is definitely not the case. So right now, I have the two at least moved into various other tanks. I'm too tired to try hunting down the last one tonight, (it's almost 5am here now) but I'll find it later.

My new revised plan is I'm going to start each wee one in it's own separate tank. I have a three or four 10gs that I can get out of storage and set up and then try introducing them when they get older and a bit tougher. Depending on what happens with this one that got beaten up, I may end up having to order another silver too. I don't see the point of using the black to breed with the silvers. Never mind that the Japanese place near me (where the FH came from) offered to buy the black when it got a little bigger.

I emailed the folks at that aquarium too, since they have three adults living together. I wonder if they mellow out some once they get older, since so far blinky hasn't been aggressive at all to his goldy tank mate, and the goldy plenty of times now has gone up to eat from the top when I've gone to feed them both.
Back to top Go down
Silver Dollar Dude
Banned

Male Posts : 910

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Project.   Breeding Project. - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 02, 2009 7:32 am

saint_felony wrote:
Update:

Even at an young age, the Aro's are complete asses to each other. How they survive in the wild is a mystery to me.

I have one, and they're all the same size, trying to be tank boss. It's beaten the hell out of one of the others, where it might not survive, and keeps chasing another one into a corner. The fourth is in hiding somewhere, but I'm pretty sure isn't dead since it's not stuck to the filter intake. Wink They could care less about the suckers though. None of the Aros have any interest at all in the sucker fish.

From what I had been reading, it seemed safe to keep a group of them together after the egg sac had vanished. This is definitely not the case. So right now, I have the two at least moved into various other tanks. I'm too tired to try hunting down the last one tonight, (it's almost 5am here now) but I'll find it later.

My new revised plan is I'm going to start each wee one in it's own separate tank. I have a three or four 10gs that I can get out of storage and set up and then try introducing them when they get older and a bit tougher. Depending on what happens with this one that got beaten up, I may end up having to order another silver too. I don't see the point of using the black to breed with the silvers. Never mind that the Japanese place near me (where the FH came from) offered to buy the black when it got a little bigger.

I emailed the folks at that aquarium too, since they have three adults living together. I wonder if they mellow out some once they get older, since so far blinky hasn't been aggressive at all to his goldy tank mate, and the goldy plenty of times now has gone up to eat from the top when I've gone to feed them both.
Good luck. I hope the best for ya.
Back to top Go down
dirtydawg10
Global Moderator
dirtydawg10

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Project.   Breeding Project. - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 03, 2009 12:48 pm

The other thing I have used to divide fish in the same tank and avoid aggression is the plastic eggcrate material. They can see eachother but can't harm eachother. I've found if you put the divider in for a couple weeks and then put them together again sometimes the aggression ends. I've never had arows before though so I can't help you with whether this is typical behavior or not.
Back to top Go down
saint_felony
The Turtle Whisperer
saint_felony

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Project.   Breeding Project. - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 03, 2009 4:39 pm

They're small enough right now that I have them in seperate plant tubs in the shallow pond. Wink

The only egg crate material I know is the foamy stuff they use for soundproofing. Where'd you find plastic ones?
Back to top Go down
dirtydawg10
Global Moderator
dirtydawg10

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Project.   Breeding Project. - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 03, 2009 4:47 pm

They are actually the eggcrate diffusers that are used on flourescent light fixtures in suspended ceilings. You can pick them up at Home Depot or Lowes in the lighting department. They look like this CLICK LINK
Back to top Go down
saint_felony
The Turtle Whisperer
saint_felony

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Project.   Breeding Project. - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 04, 2009 5:13 am

Oh. Rainbows. Wink I have a pile of those, but the ones I have are too large an opening to keep them in. They're half inch squares.

I never knew it was called plastic eggcrate though. Explains why I've had such a hard time finding more of it. I'll stop by the hardware store tomorrow and see if they have smaller sized ones.
Back to top Go down
jsorensen
jsorensen

Male Posts : 331

Favorite Fish : Plakat Betta

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Project.   Breeding Project. - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 29, 2009 3:50 pm

how's it going? it sounds like one of the coolest projects ever i used to have a silver arrowanna but my oscar beat it up Crying or Very sad so i havent tried to get another one but i think arrowanas are still really cool
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Project.   Breeding Project. - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Breeding Project.
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2