Freshwater Madness
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RegisterHomeSearchLatest imagesLog inFWMadnessGallery
Similar topics

Mid-water fish

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Ivy
Ivy

Female Posts : 43

Favorite Fish : Stingrays and skates

Mid-water fish Empty
PostSubject: Mid-water fish   Mid-water fish EmptyWed Mar 25, 2009 11:47 pm

Okay, so let me throw another question at ya. In a few weeks I will begin again in restocking my tank, I have my top and bottom water fish. I will be using glo danios and a school of panda cories. However, I need to find a good midwater community fish that likes a temp of about 75 degrees. It is important they don't get over about 21/2 inches due to the adult length of the other inhabitants. Here is the reason I need help though. My husband likes freaky or clear fish. I told him I wasn't interested in the hatchet fish and he wants the glass cats but they get too large considering they are schooling fish and I would need a bunch. Does anyone know of a good freshwater fish reference so I can find a good fish that he would appreciate? Thx for the help again
Back to top Go down
1nevrkwitz
Extraordinary Member
1nevrkwitz

Male Posts : 660

Humor : I find humor, amusing.
Favorite Fish : Jack Dempsey

Mid-water fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mid-water fish   Mid-water fish EmptyThu Mar 26, 2009 1:08 am

Peacock gudgeon (Tateurndina ocellicauda)
Mid-water fish Ss852610

I dont have a pic but the Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish (Melanotaenia praecox) was one that I was considering.
They have lots of energy and are gorgeous fish.

The Dwarf Gourami (Colisa lalia) might be one that you guys might like, they have lots of personality.
(if you like these guys make sure to only have 1 male)

Depending on you tank tempature you might also like the Paradise fish (Macropodus opercularis). They are really lively, intelligent and fun fish to watch.

I'm sure other members will have some great suggestions for you guys. I just wanted to share some of my favorits with ya. Best of luck to you guys with which ever fish you guys choose. Ed
Back to top Go down
saint_felony
The Turtle Whisperer
saint_felony

Mid-water fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mid-water fish   Mid-water fish EmptyThu Mar 26, 2009 3:15 am

Hmm. Small Peaceful freaky looking fish eh?

There's the Galaxy Rasbora - Celestichthys margaritatus that stays under two inch and is neat. The Scissor tail ones are also kinda oddly schnazzy, but I think they get out to 5 inch.

The Peacock Gudgeons, Ed mentioned are also fairly neat. However when I just had the one by it self it seemed sorta skittish. I mixed it in with some guppies and it was much more chill.

If your looking for peaceful, I'd be careful with the Paradise Fish. I had some once and they were mean to the smaller fish. I believe that it's a male thing though, like Gouramis.

I like the Bosemani Rainbows too - Melanotaenia boesemani but if memory serves they get 3 to 4 inch.

Even though they get fairly big as adults, I've had really good luck with Angelfish being fairly peaceful too even though they are a cichlid. I have one 6 incher in with the previously mentioned guppies and gudgeon. There's some plants to break up the view/hide, but I've not seen him go after anything that isn't flakes. Smile
Back to top Go down
dirtydawg10
Global Moderator
dirtydawg10

Male Posts : 3098

Favorite Fish : Severum

Mid-water fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mid-water fish   Mid-water fish EmptyThu Mar 26, 2009 9:21 am

I would agree with Saint on the angel, it would be a nice addition. You could also look into a school of harlequin rasboras.
Back to top Go down
Ivy
Ivy

Mid-water fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mid-water fish   Mid-water fish EmptyThu Mar 26, 2009 11:55 pm

Thank you for the list my husband and I sat down and looked together. When I start adding, (after planting) I will let you all know what we decided on:)
Back to top Go down
Ivy
Ivy

Mid-water fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mid-water fish   Mid-water fish EmptyTue Mar 31, 2009 10:14 pm

Can anyone tell me if Blue Dwarf Gourami are mid or bottom swimmers? What is the deal anyway? Why can't I find females anywhere? All I find are males. Anyone have any idea why? my plan for my 20g High, planted tank was 3 glo danios, 5 panda cories, 3 ghost shrimp and 1 Male/1 Female (maybe two) powder blue dwarf gourami's. Any thoughts?
Thanks
Back to top Go down
Markm0723
Jack Dempsey Breeder
Markm0723

Male Posts : 382

Favorite Fish : Jack Dempsey

Mid-water fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mid-water fish   Mid-water fish EmptyTue Mar 31, 2009 10:32 pm

Hi Ivy,

The Dwarf Gourami tends to be a mid-water fish. They are Anabantids, like Bettas, so they will come to the surface to gulp air.

One tip when trying to determine what level a fish will tend to stay at. Look at its mouth. If its mouth faces upward, it is most likely a surface dweller. A centrally located mouth is most ofter a mid-water fish. An under-slung mouth indicates a bottom dweller.

This does not always work, but in most cases it does. One exception are the Gouramis, while their mouth faces upwards, they often prefer mid-water.

I hope this helps,
Mark
Back to top Go down
Ivy
Ivy

Mid-water fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mid-water fish   Mid-water fish EmptyTue Mar 31, 2009 10:35 pm

I thought they were mid water as well, but I went to get some supplies today and looked at the gouramis at the store. They looked healthy but were just chillin' at the bottom and were labeled as bottom fish. Maybe they were just bored. lol
Back to top Go down
dirtydawg10
Global Moderator
dirtydawg10

Male Posts : 3098

Favorite Fish : Severum

Mid-water fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mid-water fish   Mid-water fish EmptyWed Apr 01, 2009 2:51 pm

The reason why you see mostly males is because their colors are brighter and they are therefore easier to sell.
Back to top Go down
Ivy
Ivy

Mid-water fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mid-water fish   Mid-water fish EmptyThu Apr 02, 2009 11:01 pm

I was thinking about adding two powder blue dwarf gouramis to my tank. Since most places don't sell females, what are your thoughts on two powder blue dwarf males in a well planted 20g?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Mid-water fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mid-water fish   Mid-water fish Empty

Back to top Go down

Mid-water fish
Page 1 of 1